Tag: finish the sentence friday
December 18, 2015
Normally, I don’t write a letter to my younger self or consider thinking about “what if” or “regret” posts. Rarely do I feel like the grass is greener. Often, I feel like the other side of the fence is a landfill avalanche, ready to suck you down with all of the bits of crap that’s been tossed inside.
Of course, that’s not always the case and it’s apparent that I’m not an optimist. Yet tonight, I feel like I should write a little note to a previous, younger version of myself.
November 6, 2015
Nineteen seems like a lifetime ago, not just because it’s been almost two decades, that I still fit single digit sized clothing or that I was single without a husband or children in my future. The life I envisioned then was one of passion and a hard day at work, an apartment was only a necessity to lay my head. Early mornings consisted of a well balanced breakfast following a rigorous workout. Now, my day is full of sacrifice, working around the clock and I mostly leave my house to drop off my son at school.
August 27, 2015
Evidence surrounds us that school is back in session. My son is gone all day, and is considering which athletic teams he would like to join, I’m homeschooling my daughters and more than anything, my mommy friends don’t have children at home to visit. No more pool trips, alone at the beach and visits to the museum are no longer free. Structure-free days are gone and wake up times are earlier.
My little minions and I conquered a lot of our bucket list. Yet, the best part was that we kept busy… no aches of boredom or readiness to go back to school in this house. My son was ready to see his friends, but would’ve been content being home for a few more weeks. I consider that a successful summer. The memories have been set and hopefully will stay favorable in my kiddos mind.
August 14, 2015
Clouds roll in and sprinkle the city with warm rain as I sit here at my computer alone. Being alone is becoming more commonplace as my husband helps me work through my goal of becoming an established writer.
Getting used to the quiet is difficult, spending my days with three loud and rambunctious children hardly lends itself to silent times. I don’t have to rush through my work and instead read and enjoy, edit and review, hopefully giving you a better piece of post.
To kick off my week of thanks is a big hug and thanks to my husband, who has become a more loving and caring husband, harder worker and understanding partner. Although I’m not lucky to have him, I am blessed to have found him.
May 8, 2015
1. Do you have any big things planned for the summer?I don’t have any definitive plans, but I really want us to spread it out. I don’t really want to have one big weekend and then too broke to do anything else. I want to explore my new state and I found out about a bunch of things that are fairly local, like Lion Country Safari, sea turtle hatching, and the local water park.
2. What was your favorite summer time activity when you were a kid?Hands down swimming. I remember spending at least four hours a day in the pool. I spent all summer at the Boys and Girls Club Hollywood that had free swim twice a day for two hours. Four hours was not enough, so I joined the junior lifeguards for another hour in the water.
3. What are your kids’ favorite things to do in the summer?I’ve passed on the passion for swimming to my kids so they also love to get in the water too.
4. Do you have a favorite summer dessert or beverage?I have never thought much about what dessert or beverages I eat during the summer, but I’ll definitely think about this year.
5. What song reminds you of summer?It’s in the title!
1. What is something that you don’t like about summer?The HEAT! I can’t stand the heat! Now that I’m in Florida, I can’t stand the humidity either.
2. What is your favorite summer movie?Do people have these? I don’t even know. I love that blockbusters come out during the summer and it’s a great reason to be INDOORS!
3. What is your go to summer outfit?
I’m not much of a dress gal, but now that it’s hot and humid here, the summer dresses seem very appealing. Typically, my attired doesn’t change much. That’s probably because I haven’t lived in places that have major temperature swings.
4. What is your favorite summer fruit?
It’s a tie between strawberries and watermelon. I find it’s easier to find a great watermelon than it is to find great strawberries.
5. What would be your dream summer vacation?A cruise along the Mediterranean sounds awesome!
1. What was your best summer ever?Oh, I’m pretty sure it’s a tie between when I went to the France and the summer I went to the Bahamas. France was great but I was also a teenager on a very tight budget. Bahamas was more of a kick back relaxed vacation.
2. Would you rather go to the pool or the beach during the summer?
Pool by far! The sand gets everywhere, in the car, in your cracks, it’s so icky. I do, however, love to be in the water with the waves. If I could do it without the sand, I’d be in.
April 25, 2015
I wonder if I can ever hear that sound again and not have tears rush from my eyes like Niagara Falls.
Beep, beep, beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee… Those last three beeps.
Last night, I was watching Grey’s Anatomy. SPOILER ALERT.
Honestly, I wasn’t watching Grey’s Anatomy, I was watching something else On Demand. That show ended five minutes before 9 and I figured that I would just watch ABC until Scandal came on.
When I turned the channel, I never thought those last few minutes would have such a profound effect.
April 17, 2015
At the end of my world, I want to know I did something, affected someone, completed something. The days I hate most are the ones that I feel like nothing got done, including spending time with my children.
I have days like that. Days where I do “stuff” all day long, but by the time I lay my head, I can’t really remember what that “stuff” was.
Thankfully, that wasn’t this week. Lots of kid time, cleaning time, friend time and wife time.
My cousin came into town and we had a blast. Mini shots of Jack Daniel’s, the gym and a beautiful walk along the beach. I was able to fully enjoy her company, with the children during the day, without at night. Although in regards to working out, I’m glad she left. I realize that I’m not in the place to enjoy a “regular” gym, and have been really enjoying my time at CrossFit over the last month.
April 9, 2015
I awoke Tuesday morning ready to take on the day as usual… trying to balance mommying, working and housework. The day didn’t start out as normal though. One thing was off. Well, more specifically, one little one. Butterfly was not fluttering around as she typically does.
Breakfast was light, a Cheerio or two was all she ate. She only ate half of her mozzarella cheese stick and even that took her twenty minutes. On a regular day, it disappears in about five minutes.
I am not one to jump at small changes in my children’s behavior, but today was different. On top of everything above, she didn’t want to be put down…at all. To say that the morning was slow and unproductive is an understatement. After some rocking, walking and cradling, I finally got her down for a nap.
March 27, 2015
I thought I would have a partner this week, but alas, I do not. So… I asked myself the questions. This will be a little different from my last mix-ups. Here we go!
February 14, 2015
I’m doing another swap with the Turn it Up Tuesday creator and co-host, Natasha of Epic Mommy Adventures today. Her site helps single parents deal with and succeed at single parenting, co-parenting and other parenting/relationship advice. She will be asking me questions in today’s “Ask Away Friday.”
We are sad to be losing Amber as one of our amazing co-hosts, as she is working to pursue other business ventures and focusing her attentions on her fitness ventures. We wish her nothing but the best, and hope for her thriving success!
When one door closes, another one opens…and we would like to give a huge Ask Away Friday welcome to a brand new co-host…drum roll please…Welcome Echo from The Mad Mommy! She is both a friend and a fellow blogger. I dig her.
Tiffany from Mrs. Tee Love Life Laughter,
Christy from Uplifting Families,
Stacey from This Momma’s Ramblings
Echo from The Mad Mommy
- Being able to sleep through the night (regardless of whether the kids are under the same roof)
- Being able to work out on my own schedule
- Being able to go out with friends… for the most part I’m home by 10, 11 if I push it!
January 22, 2015
When I think of the term “Epic Fail”, I think of a new sprung industry of nonsense.
At first, there were interesting pictures of a night of cooking gone awry to burning down a house… then it turned to a constant barrage of fixing grammar and random accidents.
Granted I can be a grammar queen and I fix the word in my head… but I am too busy to tell YOU that you got it wrong! I’m MOTHERING! 🙂
Are we saying that all black people look alike? Yes, unfortunately the rapist looks somewhat like the news anchor, but what’s the choice? Don’t announce that there is a rapist because he MIGHT look like the anchor?
January 8, 2015
Slogan provided by Ulysses S. Grant (1872)
Let’s get to the nitty-gritty… being President sucks.
Let’s face it… no matter which party you’re in (because we’ve pretty much decided that there are only two parties) half the country will hate you. Then the rest of the country will determine whether you have taken too much vacation time, whether you are spending the enough time “working” or whether your daughters’ clothing is a little too short. Never mind, a good portion of the country spends half of their work day not working, if they have access to doing so.