Calling all STEM Lovers and Girl Empowerment Supporters (GLI/STEM Academy)

I love to volunteer. Thankfully, over the last five years, I’ve had the ability to do a lot of it. One of my passions is educating girls in STEAM fields: science, technology, engineering, art and math.

Even though I don’t actually work in any of those fields, I feel like I had given up on it early. My grades stayed at As and Bs throughout high school and in college (except one class) in those fields. I didn’t consider it a possibility because I didn’t know anyone else going into it. I wanted friendship and comradery and I just didn’t see it in those fields.

How I wish I made a different choice. How I wish I followed some of those passions instead of what was expected of me. What I can do is help the next generation understand that they aren’t pigeonholed into one field and they can do more than they ever dreamed.

One of the organizations that I work with regularly is the WFPBC.

The Women’s Foundation of Palm Beach County

The Women’s Foundation of Palm Beach County (WFPBC) will host our 8th Annual Girls Leadership Institute & STEM Academy (GLI/STEM) twice in 2017.  The first program will be held on May 20, 2017 at Palm Beach State College in Palm Beach Gardens. An additional program day will be held in September at the Palm Beach State College campus in Belle Glade (Date TBD).

GLI/STEM

The free and interactive programs provide training and support for underserved girls in PBC.  The program is aimed at developing middle and high school girls’ leadership skills and passion in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM).  We will provide this program for 300 girls in 2017 with your help.

The WFPBC is looking for companies in the STEM fields to participate in the two 2017 programs in a number of different ways. If you can help us by volunteering in one or all of the ways below or even connecting us with a company or local STEM professional you know, we’d greatly appreciate the support.

STEM Fair

We invite companies and organizations to set up a table during breakfast to provide information about the work you do.  We also ask that you have someone at the table to answer questions and speak with participants.

STEM Project Workshops

We are looking for volunteers to lead workshops. Each will guide a group of girls through a STEM-based project.  Some examples include building a bridge from food products or building a robot or designing a website.  The student groups will work with the project leaders from your company.

Women in STEM Careers Lunch Program

We are looking for women who are currently working in a STEM career to share their experience and passion with participants during the lunch hour as part of a “speed mentoring” program.

STEM Follow-Up Field Trips

We are identifying local STEM activities where girls and their parents can come as a follow-up field trip in PBC.  Maybe your company can arrange a tour of your facility or you are a nature preserve or a museum with special STEM exhibits.

After-School Programs & Internships

We are identifying after-school STEM programs where girls can receive continuing enrichment and we also want to share STEM internship programs with the girls.

Please complete this short online form https://tinyurl.com/GLISTEM2017 to share your interest in participating in the 2017 Girls Leadership Institute & STEM Academy.  You can learn more about WFPBC on our website WomensFoundationPBC.org.  If you have any further questions please contact 561-206-2319 or email Alex@WomensFoundationPBC.org.

69 comments on “Calling all STEM Lovers and Girl Empowerment Supporters (GLI/STEM Academy)”

1. This is so awesome! STEM is the future, and we need to encourage our girls to get in on that action. They can do and be anything with our support.

2. Vera Sweeney says:

These are all wonderful. My daughter has recently started showing an interest in a few aspects of STEM, and I’m doing my best to encourage that trend.

3. Doria says:

How cool! I think it’s so great that STEM has garnered such steam with the younger generations and hasn’t been gender-focused. 🙂

4. Joely Smith says:

My daughter was able to attend a STEM fair when she was younger. It was one of the best and most memorable experiences of her youth! I was lucky to get to attend as well. I was SO impressed by the presenters, and the organizers. Every girl should get to attend one!

5. My kids have been to a stem fair before and they absolutely love it!

6. What a great way to encourage girls. Stem fairs sound super fun.

7. Rebecca Swenor says:

The Women’s Foundation of Palm Beach County’s events are something amazing in my opinion. I think it is great that more women today are achieving their dreams in the STEM fields. Thanks for sharing the information.

8. The WFPBC sounds like a wonderful organization. It’s so important to encourage girls to pursue the sciences. I’ll have to check to see if there’s something like that in my area.

9. uprunforlife says:

I love that this information empowers parents to encourage their daighters to go for their dream in the STEM field. I initially started working towards my nursing degree and ended up switching to a career in the IT field. Even though I am not able to work in the field due to chronic illness. I do know a bit of coding so it comes in handy.

10. Eloise says:

I’m getting my daughter into this, she has a love for Math and science which I want her to pursue if that is her interest… thank goodness times have changed and are more accepting to woman being in the field… great job volunteering : )

11. My daughter is a senior at a STEM school. I love to see her more empowered than had she been to a regular high school. k

12. Ann Bacciaglia says:

My Daughter has always loved science. Stem is so important for girls to get into. There are so many great activities you can do with them.

13. Love it! I think it’s so great that STEM has motivated the younger generations!

14. My kids are a part of a STEM coop that I run. We do a lot of science things, but mix in the others with it. It’s a lot of fun

15. STEM is sooo important and I love seeing kids enjoy it!

16. Gabriel Bregg says:

A woman I graduated High School with is an oceanographer, sadly, she’s in the Northeast so I don’t know if she would be able to participate, but the fact that I can only think of one person shows how badly this outreach is needed.

17. What a fantastic program. Encouraging girls to learn about STEM is such an important thing.

18. aziel morte says:

Science fairs are valuable learning experiences for students. Participating in a Science Fair creativity and innovation
    critical thinking and problem solving
    communication and collaboration
    initiative and self-direction.

19. This is so amazing!I’m so glad this post is creating awareness amongst your readers!

20. I think it’s so important to create more equality in these fields, as there’s not enough women in these industries x

21. What a fab way to encourage girls into these fields x

22. Yaya says:

I love initiatives like this. Girls need encouragement at a young age so we can see more of them in these fields in the future.

23. Okay so I could not love this more!! I am so behind this, it really is the future and I will share xx

24. joanna says:

What a fab programme to encourage girls

25. If we can get more girls to join the academy it will help narrow the glass ceiling/ gender divide in the science industry x

26. I think more girls are taking interest in these subjects than they did a few years back. With encouragement from posts like yours I am sure you are bringing more awareness.

27. danasia fantastic says:

This is incredible- encouraging young girls to get involved in STEM fields is so important and critical.

28. Crystal says:

Such a fantastic program. We all need to encourage girls to get involved.

29. Emily Leary says:

It’s great to see how much is being done to support women going into these fields, even compared to a few years ago. If my daughter chooses to go into STEM, I feel confident that she’ll have a more support than previous generations of women in the UK, but there’s clearly still lots of work to be done.

30. I wish that there would have been STEM fairs when I was young As I would have loved some encouragement. Instead I took a different career path

31. This is so awesome. My son’s school had a spring carnival at school tonight and they had really cool STEM stuff – a robot soccer game, electricity experiments, etc. And I so agree that girl power and STEM is more necessary!

32. Now this is amazing! More power to all the girls!

33. Dannii says:

What a great organisation. It’s so important to encourage more girls to work in science.

34. maria han says:

What a fun post and I bet this is so encouraging for the kids and a perfect way to keep them busy.

35. robin Rue says:

My boys love STEM. My oldest is actually in a STEM club after school.

36. that’s awesome that you were able to find a support system to help you succeed and move up!

37. Jay Simms says:

This is really awesome!! My daughter is very intrigued with certain aspects of STEM and has been wanting to do more with it.

38. tara Pittman says:

All my boys are doing stem in school. The teen learns it in ROTC and the younger boys in gifted class.

39. Bel says:

Go girl power! I think we should encourage more of this

40. Karlyn cru says:

STEM fair is great for kids. Especially to those kids who really loves science. It makes them to be aware everywhere.

41. Sarah Bailey says:

This is going to be an amazing opportunity for the girls. I wish that this program will be successful!

42. I love this idea! There were so many different afterschool programs for me as a child and I think that steered me in the right direction. I wish they had this many opportunities for my kids.

43. Colleen Wool says:

A very important topic. Girls should always be encouraged.

44. Amber Myers says:

I love this so much! My daughter would enjoy it, that’s for sure.

45. What an amazing way for girls to spend their time after school! Such a wonderful opportunity for girls to learn and grow. Girl Power!

46. Sondra Barker says:

That is so awesome! More women need to be part of things like this and I am pleased to see smart, encouraging women as yourself being part of the STEM team.

47. This sounds like a wonderful event. I believe everyone should spend loads of time learning all things STEM related.

48. Natalie says:

This sounds like such a great event. It is so important to get girls involved in these fields and empower them – and they can even find a passion in one of them.

49. Danielle says:

I wish I were in the area. I would love to volunteer for the STEM Workshop Projects. It sounds like fun and working with kids makes all the more fun.

50. wendy says:

This sounds like a great program to encourage a girl to join! Science or something that will fire up passion in what they want to do or conquer!

51. This is such an amazing info! STEM is the future and we need to learn everything about it! I would love to go to that even <3

52. Esse D says:

This is an awesome effort! Too often, girls feel like they don’t belong in these industries because they are male dominated. It’s great that they will get support and encouragement from the program.

I love that STEM is focused on so clearly these days. It’s good for girls (and boys!) to have those skills, and encouraging it in areas where it didn’t use to be the norm is awesome!

54. Krysten says:

I love the idea of a STEM fair for girls. We sometimes forget that girls want to be scientific, mathematic, and hands on just like boys. They need the opportunity to grow and be enriched as well. I love this!

55. Cindy Gordon says:

What a wonderful focus! Girls will be getting a great start in life because of this.

56. Tara L says:

Sounds like an amazing program. I’ve never heard of it so reading this was good and I like the idea of STEM.

57. Misty Nelson Dawn says:

Looks like a good project for the kids, I bet my niece and nephew would love to do the stem,

58. Joanna says:

It’s great to hear of such programs for girls. I have followed a high school of math and informatics and we were only 2 girls in the class. Today, that highschool is almost entirely dedicated to boys and that’s a shame because girls can be passionate about math too.

59. eazynazy says:

This is really a good program for girls

60. So many opportunities here – this is fantastic! I have several friends who have daughters in STEM. It’s definitely the future!

61. This program sounds amazing. Anything that encourages women, I am onboard.

62. I never heard of this before. Wish we have something like this where I lived. Great info!

63. Echo says:

This is so amazing! I would love it if more schools focused on STEM/STEAM learning!

64. stacey says:

I love what STEM does. Its powering girls to get into science and technology which it has been proven we can do just as well as guys.

65. Emma white says:

This sounds amazing and i really wish they would do something like this in all schools!

66. Sauumye says:

It’s good to see younger people taking interest in STEM. As an engineer, I’m so happy!!

67. MIchelle says:

What an awesome thing. I wish I had done something like this.

68. NICHOLE Shirell says:

This is wonderful program. I am happy girls are getting more opportunities. Great awareness post.

69. Skye says:

I love programs like these! STEM (especially for girls) is one of my passions as well. I wish I lived close enough to volunteer.