No Grocery Store, No Problem: Start Your Own Garden

I came across this super cute and relatable video about creating your own garden this week:

Grow Food: Appetite for Change

#ShiftCon

Back in college, I crashed with my ex in the Jungle, which didn’t have a nearby neighborhood.  Then, I flashed back to #ShiftCon where Ron Finley (of The Ron Finley Project) spoke about planting a garden in his side yard, you know that little strip of land between your fence and the sidewalk and I posted this:

My Garden

Start Your Own Garden | Ron Finley | AprilNoelle.comThen, I came home and really dove into my own garden. Of course, I got my start at the Dollar Tree.

Planters – $1,
Pack of seeds -$.25
All of the tools, yep, just $1

Luckily, my husband bought in too. He recycled the bottles and other plastic containers we use in the house to germinate the seeds. We started with bell peppers and basil.

We started with bell peppers, watermelon, thyme and basil. I took some of the larger plants over to my in-laws house and they didn’t do well. So we are starting all over.

I tried planting some thyme especially because my husband LOVES thyme. I’m not sure what happened or why they didn’t survive, but I couldn’t get that plant going.

But we’ve expanded to tomatoes, cucumbers, garden beans, sugar apple, soursop, okra and kale. I’ll update you in just a couple of months.

Here are 10 steps to start your own. Have you ever tried to garden? Why or why not?

43 comments on “No Grocery Store, No Problem: Start Your Own Garden”

1. Julie Porter says:

I have been talking about starting a garden for years now and I just don’t get it done. Growing up we had a huge garden and grew all of our vegetables and canned and froze extras for the winter and I really miss that.

2. I’ve toyed around with the idea of starting my own garden. I think it’s a smart and cost effective idea. You can grow what you like and really experience that farm to table trend.

3. Kelly Reci says:

my grandma has the very relaxing garden in our village. she spent the whole day gardening! I agree it cost less! hehe

4. Kendra says:

My husband and I want to start a garden. After watching the kids in the video I’m really motivated to do so!

5. Tammy says:

I’ve had a garden for years just for this reason. I just love fresh tasting and knowing how I grew them. Please stop by my blog to read about my garden.

6. Ave says:

I started a small balcony garden last year and I’m still getting some cherry tomatoes, even now in January! Want to add more herbs this year!

7. Becki Svare says:

We’ve been talking about starting a garden forever, and it keeps just being a dream. I love that you started small and expanded versus trying everything at the beginning at potentially being overwhelmed. That’s the key, I think, start where you are, but start! I think I’ll try it this year!!

8. I love having a garden. Down here in Georgia, everyone has one. We all share, and we all love it!

9. Jen Rattie says:

Having a garden is so much fun! My bestie had a garden this year, and her tomatoes were as big as my head! I’m totally having one next year.

10. I love growing my own veggies and herbs. It makes such a difference in taste and plus it saves you so much money!

11. robin Rue says:

I have a black thumb, but thankfully there is a farmer’s market right up the street from me 🙂

12. I used to grow cherry tomatoes in a pot but after a cycle of bearing fruit, they wilted and died. I will try planting other vegetables in the spring. An herb planter is also in the pipeline.

Good luck with the ones you’re starting over on. I think this sounds fun!

14. Pam says:

We actually garden every year! This year we are growing herbs, tomatoes, and maybe a few other things. My daughter wants to grow purple potatoes.

15. Cacinda says:

Good for you! It is so rewarding harvesting from your garden and knowing how much you will save.

16. Gardening is such a great hobby! And you can do it on the cheap as well. It’s also good to be self-sufficient when growing your own fruit and vegetables.
    Amanda

17. Meagan says:

I wish my garden would last. Racoons steal everything.

It’s so cool that you decided to do this. It’s nice that it was so easy to get started!

19. Theresa says:

I really started gardening last year. My tomatoes and peppers thrived. My zucchini didn’t at all. Hopefully I can get it to grow this year.

20. I’ve always wanted to have my own garden! Thanks so much for sharing these tips! Really awesome!

21. Melissa says:

This is such a great idea, I love gardening although I had some bad luck last year when I planed tomato and pepper seedlings I bought at my son’s school fair but they never yielded anything even though I watered them daily. Dollar Tree ha great prices I will try again this year in the backyard.

22. We tried one of those wooden box gardens in our yard of our last house. It was pretty fun as well as productive, as we grew onions, green beans, and lettuce.

I hope yours goes well for you; it sounds like you are having fun.

23. Emma white says:

This is something i always wanted to do but never got round to doing it. Thanks for this post its gave me the push to make a start on it!

24. We still shop at the dollar store for a lot of our planting needs! They have a lot of what we need. I love having our own garden!

25. Having a garden a dream of mine!
    I can’t wait to have one!

26. Caitlin says:

I love having a garden – there’s nothing quite as tasty as something you grow yourself. It forces you to be creative too – a ton of tomatoes? Make sauce! A ton of spinach? Salad or smoothies!

I just need to figure out how to make my garden less attractive to all the woodland creatures in my backyard 😉

27. I have had a garden before, and I absolutely loved it! I loved the planning, the prep, the weeding. All of it. I’m not in a place right there where I have space to grow things, and I feel the loss of it deeply. Someday when I own my own home, there will CERTAINLY be a garden.

28. It is much healthier and more cost-efficient to grow our own vegetables. It can also reduce concerns over pesticides and food-borne illnesses. That is why I already have a small garden in our backyard.

29. Elizabeth says:

Such a great idea, this! I’d love to get more into gardening but unfortunately we live in a very exposed location, meaning that the salty sea air tends to kill everything off with the gales. We don’t have room for a polytunnel, so we buy from a local veg box company who do all the hard work for us.

30. Coralie says:

We love growing a garden. It is one of the things we look most forward to every summer. Love the pictures!

It would be so awesome to have your own veggie and herb garden at home! That’s what I’ve been aiming for for years. I have a few veggies but it’s still not up to par with my plans and goals.

32. Karlyn Cruz says:

well i think my family is very fortunte for having a veggie garden ever since, it is from the root of my grandmom until today, my mom keeps our veggie garden!

33. Meeta says:

A few years ago we started with herbs then added a raised bed for tomatoes and lettuce and last year we also managed zucchinis and peppers.

34. Azlin Bloor says:

Absolutely! We love growing stuff every summer! Every year, each of my kids choose a crop and is the responsible for it all season.

35. Amber Myers says:

I wish I could grow stuff but alas, I have a black thumb. I try and it never goes well. Maybe one day I’ll try again!

36. Natalie says:

When you really think about it, growing your own garden saves you so much money down the line! And there is nothing better than freshly picked veggies and herbs in my opinion.

37. Echo says:

We love gardening! I can’t wait until spring, so we can replant and start growing again.

38. Lisa Rios says:

I love gardening so much and it is quiet amazing how you have expanded your garden with so many plants all around. I am surely thinking about going for one with my husband and thanks for inspiring on the same!

39. I always wanted to start a garden. It is so rewarding to have plants and fruits growing.

40. Tina Gleisner says:

Where possible we should all try to grow our own veggies but alas I travel too much to make this practical. I did notice when visiting Zimbabwe, that every yard had a large garden in it & I admired how practical this was.

41. I’ve been wanting to start my own garden for some time. I figure wants it starts getting a little warmer it will be a great activity to do with my daughter.

42. I’d love to grow my own food in the garden. So organic 🙂 But for this we would first need a garden haha..

We are learning how to do it simply and indoors or on our porch. It’s getting there. I just saw this post on FB which showed how to grow lettuce on your kitchen counter.