One Small Action to Support a Great Film

Early this summer, Jeff, my husband, and I met this couple: John and Jackie*. They are an older couple and we have learned to look up to them in a lot of ways.

We were making dinner plans one day and we had an interaction that went something like this:

John*: Are you going to see “Southside with You”? Jackie and I are going to see it on Friday night. We’d love for you to join us.

Me:  I doubt it.

John: Really? Why not?

Me: It’s hard to get discount tickets for new releases. (Yes, I’m that frugal.)

John: Oh

Me: No, I mean, the Costco movie tickets tend not to work on opening weekend. We normally go on the second or third weekend.

John: Well, you know seeing a movie on the first weekend helps the movie stay open on weekends two and three.

Me: Um, I know that.

John: You also know that most black movies aren’t open more than a couple of weeks. When we don’t support it the first weekend, it may not be around a second. If you want to see it, you really should try to see it the first weekend.

Me (deflated): ok…

One Small Action to Support a Great Film | AprilNoelle.comI felt like a deflated child. I felt like my parent telling me that I’ve been doing wrong even when I thought I was doing the right thing. It was like the day I took one of the horoscope things from the grocery store because I thought it was free only to find out I stole it.

And this was so simple. So easy.

See, I’m all for supporting the minority movie, not just black, but small movies, independent movies, movies that teach important lessons, movies that are against the moral grain, etc.

And truthfully, we rarely go to movies on opening weekend. For the bigger movies, I don’t want to fight crowds or get bad seats. For the smaller movies, it’s just me being cheap.

But when John said it, I felt like I had spent a lot of time trying to save a few dollars and possibly costing a good movie real support.  Movies that deserve more attention. Movies that don’t fit the minority stereotypes. Ones that are well-written and beautiful. Movies that we wrote. Movies that my brothers and sisters wrote, not an already established actor or director.

We need to break the stereotypes, the molds. We need to support the movies that are not typically blockbusters and turn those movies into the ones that production companies are clamoring to make.

So, what’s the one thing you could do to help movies that could lead to progress:

Go to the movies on opening weekend.

Go with your friends.

Make it a date night.

Drag your siblings.

Whatever you can do.

This is a plea to see a new movie, one out tonight.

Loving.

Loving tells the story of interracial couple Richard and Mildred Loving, who fell in love and were married in 1958. They grew up in Central Point, a small town in Virginia that was more integrated than surrounding areas in the American South. Yet it was the state of Virginia, where they were making their home and starting a family, that first jailed and then banished them. Richard and Mildred relocated with their children to the inner city of Washington, D.C., but the family ultimately tries to find a way back to Virginia.

This story is the epitome of the melting pot of the United States. It shows us the struggles that previous generations have gone through to lead us down the path of choosing our partner.

If the plot of this movie even ignites the smallest spark in you, go out and see it. And if it doesn’t, choose to go see other movies that you normally would wait for it to come out on DVD.

*Names have been changed to protect their privacy.

46 comments on “One Small Action to Support a Great Film”

1. That’s actually a point I’ve never considered about seeing a movie on opening weekend. John is one smart cookie, I think.

2. You know, I rarely go to any film on opening day. In fact, I usually wait until they’re close to closing so I can get a better deal. I never thought about how that impacted film makers, though.

3. Kita Bryant says:

Aren’t parents funny? We can learn a lot from them. This looks like a movie I need to see!

4. Pam Wattenbarger says:

This does sounds like a good movie. I rarely go to movies on opening week either. I’d never thought about what John said, but he is right.

5. Monica says:

I need to see this! And I need to start going to the movies when they first come out.

6. Theresa says:

I am exactly like you and tend to go 2 or 3 weeks out. I guess I never thought how not going on opening weekend could really affect the film in that manner. Loving does sound like a good film. I’ll have to see if any of our theaters are playing it and make a date night of it with the husband!

7. I have seen the previews for this movie and I definitely am going to go see it.

8. I rarely go to see a movie on opening weekend but he has a good point. This movie sounds great! Worth-watching I think.

I hadnt heard of the movie until you mentioned it here. That’s not surprising for me though, I”m always behind on these things. 🙂

Don’t worry. I’m behind on a lot of things. But with the new political climate, I have worked to make sure that things like this aren’t forgotten.

10. This movie looks like it will spark a really great conversation and will inspire! I am definitely going to take my husband to see it! Thanks for the inspiration!

I’m glad that you want to see it. I’m checking it out tonight.

11. I really had no idea that the first weekend determined the following weeks. My husband and I haven’t been to a movie since before my son was born…3 years ago. But whenever I can get a sitter next, I will be sure to see a movie on opening weekend.

Yes, if a movie doesn’t do well, they pull the number of screens and eventually pull it from the theater altogether. I did know it it, but never really followed through with that thought process of support.

12. This must have been such a challenge for the couple in 1958.
    Even today, it must have its trials…someday, I hope racial integration will take a better hold.
    After all, we are all humans!

13. Ann Bacciaglia says:

I would love to go see this movie with a few girlfriends. I always try to avoid opening night.

I keep seeing ads for it and I want to see it.
    As a movie buff, I have never seen it John’s way! I’m glad I did today. I like to see movies later after their release just because I hate crowds! I know I’ll be sitting in one if I want to see Moana with the kids!

15. I really need to see this film! It looks so interesting.

I so agree that we need to support the small movies. I need to go see a movie when it is first released

17. Victoria says:

I heard a lot of good comments in this movie.. I better watch this one and remember the some memorable scene.. 🙂

18. That is a good idea to see smaller movies on the weekend as it does help them break even as you said. Its good to support smaller franchises.

I was moved when I saw the trailer for this movie. I can’t wait to see it. It’s definitely going to break barriers and make people aware of what it’s like when you love someone with a different skin color as yours.

20. Leigh Anne Borders says:

Looks like a great movie to see. I generally do not go to movies their opening weekend but I do go pretty close to opening.

21. WebMDiva says:

Love that you went from deflated to supportive! I never really thought about the importance of opening weekend movies, but “John” is right. Sounds like a great movie!

#TIUT

22. Teresa Kunberger says:

I think this is a great way to support small films!

23. Samantha says:

Ive never seen a movie on opening weekend. Great idea to help keep it in business!

24. Wren says:

I had never really thought about seeing a movie on opening weekend. I typically see the crowds and save it for another time. This is great though, I will have to make sure I make the effort on a movie I truly want to support. Thanks.

25. Bill S says:

I have not heard of this movie before!!! I think opening weekends can some times take away from the film if the movie theater is overcrowded!

26. Jacqui Odell says:

I saw this preview the other day. It really sounds like a good movie. Keeps you on your toes.

27. Amber Myers says:

This movie sounds amazing! I do hope to see it in theaters.

28. Tonia says:

I’m looking forward to seeing this movie. I’m from Virginia and married to a Caucasian man. I can’t believe this could’ve been our story just a few decades ago. It’s sad, but I’m glad it is being acknowledged.

29. This sounds like a good movie. There’s so many new movies coming out for the holiday. This will be exciting!

30. I don’t go to the movies very often, but when I do I tend to see more independent small movies. I like supporting them and they usually tend to be among my favorites. I’ve heard great things about Loving and hope to see it soon.

31. Ourfamilyworld says:

I find this movie full of lesson to be learned for a couple and will touch my heart.. I need to watch this..

32. Echo says:

It is so very true! Just the act of buying a movie ticket can help support a film, an action and a feeling!

33. I have seen the previews. It definitely looks like a movie that I want to see. And I am that frugal, too!

34. kelli reci says:

The story of this short movie will definitely great and memorable for everyone.. Must watch this!

35. This is one movie I’d love to watch. I know I will be teased to no end but I don’t care. My husband always makes fun of me when I watch “chick flicks.” I am sure Loving is a movie I would want to watch over and over again.

36. Christine Tatum says:

So happy you posted this. I haven’t heard of this movie. I can’t wait to see it. ❤️❤️

37. Tiffany Ray says:

What a great post. I love supporting film makers and I didn’t know a lot of this. Thanks for sharing.

38. Krystal says:

It sounds like a good movie and one with a powerful message. I will have to learn more about it.

39. Anosa says:

I must say I didnt think of it that way, I always thought 2nd or 3rd showing was cheaper than first but without attending first there is a chance 2nd or 3rd wont happen.

40. adriana says:

I really never realized that when you see the movie can really impact the film makers! This is a great read – thanks for sharing!

41. Ashley says:

We very rarely go to a movie opening weekend.

42. That’s also one of my realizations this month, that we should go see the movie on opening weekend to be able to support it.