CompTIA #MakeTechHERStory

On our way up the coast, my husband and I started talking about our career choices. He’s an aerospace engineer. I’m a lawyer. I love a lot of things about the law, but it doesn’t spark my creative side.

He asked me why I didn’t choose another career field since I clearly have passions in other areas. The truth of the matter is that I didn’t know about them.

I started using a computer at the age of nine. By the age of 12, I learned how to be a graphic designer with color separation (the old fashioned way). I have had a series of freelance design gigs since.

CompTIA #MakeTechHerStory | AprilNoelle.comBut I had no desire to be a “starving artist”. I didn’t want to spend my entire day behind a computer.

Yet, here I am. I spend a good portion of my day behind a computer.  If we had to live on my income alone, we would certainly be starving.

Quite frankly, I really enjoy what I do. Now, I do a bit of computer graphic design, document formatting, editing and many more things in the tech field. I think I’ve been hesitant to go all in because I have a lot on my plate and not sure that I should make the commitment.

I wish I had known more early. Thankfully, my daughters will know have experiences way beyond what I had because organizations like CompTIA spread the word to encourage more girls to enter the world of IT.

Girls in Technology

New CompTIA-commissioned research, based on a survey and focus groups of girls between the ages of 10 and 17, identifies several critical factors that discourage girls from considering careers in tech.

• Parents play a key role in introducing technology – Girls and boys agree that parents and guardians are the primary source for finding out what IT stands for. But boys are more likely to begin using mobile devices at an earlier age, at five years old or younger, than girls (11 percent vs. 5 percent). Boys are also slightly more likely to explore the inner workings of tech devices out of curiosity (36 percent vs. 30% of girls).
  • Girls’ interest in technology lessens with age – Nearly half of boys have considered a tech career, compared to less than one-quarter of girls. Among middle school girls, 27 percent have considered a career in technology. By high school this figure drops to 18 percent.
  • Tech classes aren’t enough –Girls who have taken a technology class are only slightly more likely to have considered an IT career (32 percent). Less than half of girls who’ve taken these courses are confident their skills are right for the job.
  • Girls lack awareness about career opportunities – 69 percent of girls who did not pursue IT attribute this to not knowing what opportunities are available to them. More than half (53 percent) say additional information about career options would encourage them to consider a job in IT.
  • Girls need role models in the industry – Just 37 percent of girls know of someone with an IT job. This rises to 60 percent among girls who have considered an IT career.

Women have played essential and vital roles throughout the history of computing and technology, from pioneering programmers such as Rear Admiral Grace M. Hopper and the ENIAC Girls, to today’s leaders at Facebook, YouTube, HP, Alphabet, Xerox and other companies. Read the entire press release here.

Were you interested in tech as a child?

27 comments on “CompTIA #MakeTechHERStory”

1. I think this is great. It’s so important for girls to be just as exposed to tech as boys. Girls have an incredible aptitude for technical and scientific endeavors.

2. Jeanette says:

I don’t have any girls but I totally think this is correct. I think girls need to know that they can do just as much as boys. I do raise my child to know that he can do anything he wants to and if it was a girl I would tell her the exact same thing.

3. lisa says:

I love teaching girls about technology. I’m pretty sure my girls all have more tech experience than I do now!

4. Vera Sweeney says:

I love that so many programs are working to get girls involved in technology more!! I hadn’t heard of this program it sounds like a good one.

5. I was interested in science as a kid, but I can’t say I was really that into tech. It wasn’t a big thing until I was in high school or college. I’m a big fan of it now and really like seeing all the programs encouraging women to go into the field.

6. I have always loved technology, but then I’ve had a computer at home since I was 2. So technology doesn’t scare me.

7. Nikki says:

SO important, As for this generation, I’m pretty sure that girls can have more credible deals to tech. Looking more and seeing programs about this kind of information.

8. ricci says:

I love that girls are getting involved in technology at an earlier age! I also wish I had takes more technology based courses in high school and college!!

9. Rebecca Swenor says:

My I was younger there wasn’t the computers in the home like there is now. I went to Devry Institute of Technology to learn how things were made. The programming I was never sure of my self so I never got into. Girls do need more than just classes and I do believe role models are key for them. Thanks for shairng the information.

10. Sara says:

My daughter loves tech and I hope she is inspired to work in the technology field just like her older brothers. What a wonderful program this is!

11. Leta says:

Tech is such a new industry and changing so fast, I don’t think any of us had a clue years ago! And the landscape will be vastly different when our children are ready to work too. Crazy times!

12. Kelly Reci says:

Gladly and thankful about our technology to this generation, Co’z many are involves especially girls to improve their skills and develop their knowledge about this.

Times have changed and more and more girls are into learning about technology and finding career paths there. It’s nice to encourage young girls to follow their passion.

14. Heather Gallagher says:

Girls getting into tech is super exciting – I work in construction and there are more and more of us out here 😉

15. Ann Bacciaglia says:

I think girls should be given every opportunity to learn as boys. I loved learning all about technology when I was younger.

16. I kind of grew up with computers, the first time I ever used the internet, I was in 2nd grade. I became a blogger so I guess it made an impact on me. MY daughter is obsessed with technology!

17. Angela Harris says:

Tech has changed so much over the years it’s incredible. My daughter has been interest in a job in the tech field as well a my oldest.

18. Christy says:

I wanted to get my Comptia A+ cert but I couldn’t pass the practice test. I was studying for it during a layoff but ended up not taking the real test. I can apply the knowledge just not great at memorizing things.

I think it is awesome that girls are in technology. I wanted to do more and got a Bachelors degree in information technology. Here I am not using it thanks to my health problems. 🙁

19. CourtneyLynne says:

I’ve always been obsessed with tech!!! It’s crazy how so many girls just aren’t into it

20. This is some really great information! We have 4 boys and 2 girls and I would love for our girls to be more aware and understanding of technology.

21. Emma Spellman says:

I was really into technology as a child. I was reading books about html at 13 years old I loved building websites and being a computer nerd.

22. AZIEL MORTE says:

A great post! Open minding. 🙂

23. I’m not sure anybody really knows what they want to do or what passions they have as a kid. I am certainly totally different now and have passions that I never dreamed I’d have even in my early 20s.

24. Such a great read! Love that you empower your daughters! I loved technology as a kid – I think it was starting to bloom when I was a little girl, but I only ever used computers and other technology for games until I was nearly a teen.

25. Eloise says:

way to get the word out there, My mom is actually making a career change into the field of graphic tech and I’m proud of her for doing that! got to be happy and do what you love in life! happy there are opportunities out there for girls in the tech field!

26. Lynndee says:

First time to have heard of CompTIA, but it’s so good to know all these facts about girls in technology. Great post!