Don’t Let Being Busy Stop You From Working Out!

I haven’t done a lot of fitness posts yesterday because (1) I’ve been sick, but more importantly, (2) I haven’t been working out. I find it hard to promote something that I’m not doing and quite frankly, I hadn’t hit the gym in a long while. Now, I’m back in the gym and I have this great post by Keith Daniels on full body workouts for busy moms.

As a mom, you have a lot to do and a lot of responsibilities to take care of. So your own personal fitness usually takes a back seat and you might not have much time to workout. But it’s important for your health that you find some time to exercise. You certainly don’t have to go workout 4-5 times a week, but 2-3 times a week is certainly doable- especially if you do in-home workouts.

Simple, in-home workouts are perfect because of convenience. You might not have time to drive 15 minutes to the gym. You might not have the extra money to spend $50 a month on a gym membership. And you might not have space in your home to fit a large home gym. Therefore it’s usually best to do a quick, full-body workout using just your bodyweight. Below we’ll describe some the exercises that you can do in the comfort of your own home, and without any equipment!

Workouts for Busy Moms: The Core Exercises

Here are the four core exercises that should be a part of your routine:

Pushups

This is the main exercise for your upper body. It mainly targets your chest, but also your shoulders and triceps. To ensure good form, make sure your back is straight at all times, and you come as close to the ground as possible.

Dips

This exercise mainly works your triceps (the back of your arm), but it will also work your lower chest. You can do dips on the ground, but it won’t be as much of a challenge. Depending on your level of strength, you can do dips from a chair to get more body-weight resistance. To add even more resistance, you can place a weight on your thighs.

Squats

There is no single better exercise for your legs than the squat. It’s going to work every muscle in your legs and glutes, while indirectly working your back. You can do this exercise with just your body weight by extending your arms and descending your quads past parallel to the ground. If you need more restistance then you can you can hold a weight or a heavy house-hold object while squatting.

Crunches

This is a basic exercise for your core region. It’s good to start off with the crunch because it’s relatively easy and it won’t hurt your spine. All you need is adequate floor space and a rug/soft-surface.

Basic Routine

Here is a basic, full-body routine that you can do in the comfort of your own home:

• Pushups – 3 sets of 10 repetitions (3X10)
  • Dips – 3 X 10
  • Squats – 3 X 10
  • Crunches – 3 X 12

The majority of these exercises are compound exercises, which means that they incorporate more than one muscle group. This is better for gaining strength and developing your body. In time you may get bored of this routine, and your body will get used to it so you may experience diminishing returns. But you never have to differ greatly from this routine- slight variations are all you need. Most exercises will have some variation to them, which I will describe below. In addition, you can keep your body guessing by changing the order of exercises or changing the number of sets and repetitions.

Variations

 Pushup. To work your triceps more, you can move your hands closer to your chest and forming a ‘diamond’ with your hands.
 Squats. To make it more difficult, you can do a squat against the wall with a Bosu Ball. It’s more challenging because you will need more balance, and thus you will work more of your core muscles.
 Crunches. Instead of crunches, you can try a more challenging ab exercise such as sit-ups or planks.
 Dips. The only way to vary your dips is to do them slower, or do a static hold on the last repetition.

Conclusion

These are all great workouts for busy moms that you can do at your own convenience. They can be done at home when watching TV, or really whenever you want. After about 2-4 weeks, you’ll start to see some noticeable results!

Bio

Keith Daniels is a fitness enthusiast. You can read more of his articles on www.firstratefitness.net

54 comments on “Don’t Let Being Busy Stop You From Working Out!”

I’m sad to say I sometimes let it stop me. Well it’s not that so much as that I let the weather stop me. I really like to work out outside but I can’t do any humidity. That said, it’s time to get into some videos!

2. I have to stop saying “I’m busy” as an excuse. Those videos are great! Thank you!

I need to try the crunches. My belly needs some toning.

4. This post really hit the spot. It’s so true that sometimes you feel like you don’t have the time but 2-3 times a week is definitely possible.

5. Lynn Hogg says:

I really love the video on doing push ups, I always start from a plank so this is a revelation !

6. Heather says:

I’m glad you got back to the gym. It looks like it’s really working for you. Love your tips for busy moms.

Great busy mom tips!! Squats though…do me in!! I have to start very slowly to work my way up with those.

8. Amy Jones says:

It’s hard to make time for working out but it’s always possible, and always necessary. Health comes first

9. Anosa says:

I just returned from holiday and will be back in the gym tomorrow so this was really useful to read.

10. Nicole Escat says:

Wow, I think I need to workout again. I’ve been working and sitting the whole day on my computer!

11. Karlyn Cruz says:

am having difficulties with push ups. Maybe, I should try it a little more!

You really can’t let anything stop you from exercising. There’s nothing better for you health than being physically active on a regular basis. These exercises are great! And they’re easy!

13. Yonca says:

Great tips for busy moms! I love walking and yoga.

14. Bill S says:

These are great exercises to strengthen your core!!! So important to take care of yourself as a mom!

15. tauyanm says:

this are a must for me when exercising, i get all minimum of 50reps everyday. then cardio and lifts nice to use this too when travelling

16. Michelle Blackwood says:

These are great workout, I need to try some!

17. As much as I would love to do this exercises, I think I would rather settle for my own exercise – walking. I do a lot of walking and it does help me feel more energized.

18. I am not a mum but I should/need to try out these workouts myself. It has been a while since I have exercised. A very long time.

19. Brandy says:

Thanks for this kick in the rear – I often say “where will I find the time to workout” and my body shows my excuses.

20. Niesha Byln says:

I find pushups difficult, is there any way to make it easier! I love your post, should work out soon!

21. Amy Jones says:

I NEED to start working out, this are excellent tips!

22. Lisa Hodges says:

This has been a huge priority for me. It helps mentally just as much!

23. Love this article! I often use the kids as an excuse for not working out and I need to stop doing that!

We can definitely squeeze a bit of workout into every day. You are absolutely right. I know I’m guilty of skipping it too often.

25. This has to be the hardest thing for me! I have to force myself to make the time to workout.

26. Azlin Bloor says:

Great post and I absolutely agree! Busy nor 4 pregnancies ever stopped me from working out!

27. Dhemz says:

I wish I have their motivation. The problem is I always make excuses…lol! Thanks for sharing!

28. I really need to make working out a priority. Your workouts make it took simple. I need to give them a try.

29. Working out at home is my only option. Thanks so much for sharing these videos.

30. CourtneyLynne says:

OOOOoooo great workouts!! I need to get better at not making excuses

31. It took me a while but I was able to find my groove back with working out, I really missed it and love that I have time for it now.

32. Amy Jones says:

This is actually so useful for me right now! I’m working out a lot lately and these videos were super useful

33. Andrea says:

This is perfect for me! Thank you for the videos and tips!

34. Robin Masshole Mommy says:

Thanks for the awesome tips. I am always trying to squeeze a workout in.

35. laura says:

Thanks for the inspiration. It can be easy to not find the time.

36. Amber Myers says:

I try to always jog around the neighborhood! I should probably start doing more.

37. I am actually going to try this out. I run regularly but this doesn’t look too time consuming. Thanks for sharing!

38. Jenny says:

These sound like great workouts!! I need to get into the habit of working out again and strenghtening my core more!

39. Ashley Voicu says:

Just in time. I just realize that I have not work out in a while. My excuse. Im so busy and tired. I have to fo back to my routine and I will use these videos.

40. Taty Pradilla says:

This is a great list!! I try to incorporate exercise every day. Even washing dishes I drop in some squats.

41. Samantha says:

oh man being busy stops me all the time. I love these videos, they are easy to do and make it hard to make an excuse!

42. Myteenguide says:

There are many reasons why we need to workout even if our schedules are so demanding. These are nice tips.

43. Nicole Etolen says:

I love this, you are such an inspiration! It’s been a long time since I had a workout.

Exercise is so very important. We do have to find a way to squeeze it in as a priority, even when time is crunched (nice word play, eh?) 😉

45. Jojo Vito says:

this is great fro working moms. Doing some workouts are quite difficult if you are working. Hope this will encourage more people to spend a little time for the exercise.

46. I’m guilty of that! I really need to start getting motivated for working out. I let me self go a lot over the last 6 months.

47. Wildish Jess says:

I’m weird. The busier I am the more I work out which doesn’t even make sense, lol.

48. Oh wow, so that’s how you do push-ups. I’ve been slacking my entire lower torso that’s why it feels heavy. I’m chuckling but here comes better shoulders for me!

49. Ayesha Heart says:

Wow! Amazing videos 🙂 I’ll give it a shot this weekend. Health is important and we shouldn’t ignore it. Thank you!

50. April Mims says:

I’m a huge fan of busy mom workouts. You really don’t need a gym or long periods of time to squeeze in a workout.

51. Casey Capra says:

These are great tips! I’m always looking for quick workouts!