What a Difference a School Makes

I know that until my girls were born, I was extremely active in my son’s school life. After having Bee, my first daughter, I slacked off. I did what I could from home, but it wasn’t much.

Day One

When I dropped off the children on the first day, I really expected to drop and go. Instead, it went like this: drop, drop, drop and stay, then take one back home.

I knew I would stay with my two-year-old for a bit and make sure that she was adjusted to the class before leaving. Butterfly did great. She rarely looked at me, except to give me a loving smile and then back to playing.

Around 10, the teacher rang a gentle bell and sang a cute little “goodbye” song.

At the time, I was under the impression that she was kicking out the adults, but asking all of us to go home. I had missed the memo that the first day was a short one. The benefit of taking the little ones home before they are tired and irritable means that they will be excited to return. Makes sense, right?

First Week of School is Done | AprilNoelle.comAs a parent, you have the option of doing this every day for the first week. Of course, my Butterfly didn’t need that at all.

Butterfly and I had a great day alone, watching movies, eating popcorn and most of all, for her, not being interrupted by her sister.

When I went to pick up Bunny, her brother, he was ecstatic. He told me all about his first day of school but most importantly working on ways to change. He gave me the list of things he needed for his locker so that he will be organized: a locker bin for important papers, a shelf, and a pencil holder.

This was great news. If I could show you his room, you would know why.

Day Two

I spent Wednesday buying additional school uniforms and locker supply shopping. Then, we prepped his locker for an hour so that he didn’t have to do it in the morning.

Day Three

Thursday, I spoke to teachers and the new head of school. At the of end the day at a New Parent Cocktail Party, where I met a lot of new parents, administration, and parent volunteers, without being surrounded by our kids. I met so many great people and made connections with those who had gone through this transition as I had.

Day Four

Friday was the best. On this day, the primary school has an assembly. After a few words from the administration, it’s practically run by the students. This particular one was run by 3rd graders with the theme of “Proud to be an American” in honor of 9/11.

Almost every kid had a turn at the mic and each one had to say something alone. Not a nervous nelly in the bunch. These kids were ready and on point. Watching them as they all had matching uniforms (the only day of the week that it was mandatory), this assembly finally made me comfortable to leave me children in this school’s hands.

How is the school year going for you?

34 comments on “What a Difference a School Makes”

1. Amy Jones says:

Glad to know you masterfully survived the first week of school! Great post haha

2. Chei says:

your post is great! Thanks for sharing.

My kids have been in school for a month now and doing good. I love that they have no projects yet.

4. This is a really great post! Thanks God you survived haha.

Looks like you’ve had a great start for the school year! I hope everything goes well until the school ends. It’s great that you got to meet parents that you can relate to as well.

6. Mother of 3 says:

Sounds like the start of a wonderful school year.

7. Great thing to know that you survived the first week of school. My kids are now into the 2nd week. The first day of school for me was crazy. The bus drops by in our driveway earlier than expected. My son even was not ready. I drove him to school that day.

Oh wow! I’m not sure that I’d be ready for that either.

8. Niesha Byln says:

Oh, this makes me a little bit excited and skeptical at the same time. My little one will be in school by next year.

9. Congrats on getting through the first week of school! I can’t believe summer is over already, it went by so quickly! Good luck to you and your kids this school year!

10. Momina Arif says:

This was an interesting read 🙂

11. Bill S says:

Love that your school had a parents night like that! My kids loved their first week of school and were excited for this second week.

12. victoria says:

This is such an interesting read. So glad that you share this with us.

13. Wildish Jess says:

Your two year old is in school?! I’ve never heard of a school ever starting that young.

14. Yay! Glad you made it through the week. I had to help out a friend with her kids, while she was out of town for a meeting. I don’t know if I am equipped to do it everyday of the school year. Ha.

It’s great that the assembly went so well. That must have been nice to see. I kind of miss those days.

16. School can be so tough, even the simplest things. I decided to homeschool mine and it has been amazing!

17. April Mims says:

Sounds like a great school environment that will allow your kids to thrive. My girls are both in college now so my school days are over.

18. Denise C says:

It sounds like you had a pretty good start to the new school year. May it only get better from here!

19. Good to hear that the school year is going well so far. It is fantastic that they had an assembly which everyone participated in, great community cohesion.

We’re not allowed to take the kids to class here except kindergarten. I wish we were!

21. MarciaF says:

Sounds like a school that knows what they are doing and how to empower kids. It’s never easy leaving them but when you know they are being cared for properly it’s that much better.

22. So far the school year is going well. We got to meet up with the teacher this week and she’s really nice.

23. adriana says:

It’s nice to know that it IS possible for the first week to go so smoothly haha! Congrats on a great week!

24. My children are all grown ups now but when they started nursery school, it was more difficult for me than it was for them! While they were busy having fun and making friends, I was filled with worry! I guess I was the one that had separation anxiety. I am happy you found a good school for your kids. Wishing you and your little ones all the best this school year.

25. Sounds like a difference. I wish our schools had more to offer here. They don’t have a New Parent Cocktail Party or any other new parent options.

26. Tami Qualls says:

My daughter has been back to school for about a month now. She’s a senior in high school and busier than ever.

27. Glad to see your kids are enjoying their first week at school. The first week is always an exciting and stressful time, but is seem like you are off to a great start.

28. Nicole Escat says:

What a very interesting read. I am a little bit worried about schooling, my son will be in school next year.

29. Ryan Escat says:

I never knew that schooling can be tough. My toddler will be in school so soon.

30. Ron says:

Great that the kids are quite loving and enjoying the school days. Hope mine does the same too!

31. Kerri says:

Today was Day 8 of school for us. Although, I feel like we have been back forever. If the weather cools down, I am sure it will help because this time of year is super busy and the humidity does not help.

32. Nice article. Thanks for the read.