Cruising to a Life Together | #FTSF

The Year 2007 was an eventful year for me.

Jeff and I got married.

We had our second son.

We went on our first vacation as a couple.

And much, much more.

Our first vacation together was a cruise to the Bahamas. I had never been on a cruise and was so excited to go.

At the time, our son spent a significant amount of the summer with his grandparents. Those grandparents are one of the reasons we moved to Florida.

Cruising to a Life Together | #FTSF | AprilNoelle.comWe dropped Bunny off with them and headed for the cruise.

Getting on was a breeze and our cabin was on the water.

We walked the ship quickly, then returned to our clean, kid-free, toy-free cabin.

When we landed in the Bahamas, we went on a whirlwind tour. We raced to the rental car agency. Had I known we were going on a jog, I would’ve opted to wear footwear other than flip flops. Since we had a lot of places to go and just the daylight hours to do it, we were on our way.

As he is a native and spent most of his youth there, he showed me his schools, introduced me to family, and at the local spots. The food was delicious and by the end of the day, he had me driving on the wrong side of the road. At least I didn’t have to drive on the wrong side of the car.

By the end of the night, I was exhausted yet exhilarated. I found out so much about him that day. I fell in love with him all over again – from learning his history to navigating his experiences to understanding who he is.

That evening after dinner, we walked up to the Sun Deck to talk. As we admired the beautiful Bahamian skyline and the sound of celebration below, I looked off into the distance, imagining our future.

As we were talking, he started telling me what I meant to him, what he saw in our future, and all of the feel-goods that I could even imagine.

Then he proposed.

Yep, my husband proposed after we were already married. Why? Because of me.

See, the first time he proposed (many months previously), out of excitement, I cut him off. I didn’t have the opportunity to say anything.

I think I was the girliest girl that I had ever been when I saw the box. And I ruined it. I was so excited, he couldn’t get a word out edgewise. I killed his groove and he wasn’t able to recover.

I was excited but disappointed. Not at him, but at myself that I would completely kill his groove and not shut my mouth long enough for him to tell me about how much he loved me.

So, also in my desire to control everything around me, I asked him to re-propose. I told him that I completely accepted the ring, but “if he would be so kind” to repeat the proposal, in a surprised way and I promised not to cut him off.

It took a while, tons of patience, as he waited until we were actually married to do it again.

But it was worth every minute I waited.

We will be married 10 years in January and I can’t imagine living life without him.

***

This has been a Finish the Sentence Friday post. This week’s sentence is “One of my favorite vacation memories is…”
Host: Kristi from http://www.findingninee.com

Finish-the-Sentence-Friday-New-Pin-720-FUN-250-x-250

Finish the Sentence Friday is a link-up where writers and bloggers come together to share their themselves with a particular sentence. If you’d like to stay ahead of future sentences and participate, join our Facebook group.

37 comments on “Cruising to a Life Together | #FTSF”

1. That is SO SWEET that he re-proposed and that you cut him off the first time!!! We’re going to be married 10 years next year (2017) and it feels like yesterday but also so long ago, you know? Your cruise sounds amazing although cruises freak me out a little bit. I’m really (!!!) scared of heights and so worried somebody would fall overboard! Dumb, I know, but it’s there 🙂 I LOVE that yours was so wonderful!!!

2. Such a nice story. When I was married my ex husband cousin worked for NCL, so we would take cruises all the time for $50 each. I love cruises.

So lucky! I wish I could take more. We had a lot of fun!

A second marriage is a great idea. That trip sounded like a lot of fun.

4. Awww, 10 years together? That is really amazing! Congratulations for you!

5. Mary Burris says:

Cruises are a lot of fun. I went on a cruise on the west coast when I got married a million years ago. The marriage didnt last, but I still have good memories of the cruise.

This is so sweet. I’m glad he was able to propose again. This must have been such a special moment.

7. I really feels good and reassuring to share the house with someone you truly trust and love. And so sweet of him to make that proposal even if you are very much together in one house.

8. Amy Jones says:

So sweet! I happy for you guys. The cruise is wonderful

9. victoria says:

This is so sweet, I wish my hubby would propose again

10. We will be completing 15 years of marriage next year! I’m planning on doing something like this!

11. I’ll wager his heart was pounding seconds before he made that second attempt. Good on you to ask him for a redo. What a special, special way to do it. You’ll never forget it.

That was an eventful year for you. A good one too, it seems! 🙂 That’s nice that he had the chance to re-do his declaration of love to you. 🙂

13. Aw hun that is beautiful. Its lovely to come across a couple whose love for each other generally shines through every sentence. Here is to many more happy years.

How sweet is this post! I’m glad you took the time and got on that cruise, it’s important to spend alone time together when you’re married and with kids. It keeps the fire burning. Looks like you both had a great time there as well.

15. This is a cute story! I can imagine that it may be difficult to maintain your composure in that situation. Glad that he had a chance to fully express himself.

16. Mhaan A says:

It is always my dream to go to Bahamas! Such a great place to relax. Congratulations dear!

Mhaan | http://www.mommyrockininstyle.com

17. Congratulations on almost 10 years together! Someday, I hope to go to the Bahamas. It is on my bucket list!

18. Lisa Rios says:

The first vacation as a couple is always going to be the best with lots of fun and joy all around. The cruise experience could have been quiet amazing which I have never had in my life yet. Getting proposed for the second time after being married already shows how much love he has for you!

19. Thanks for sharing your sweet story. It sounds like you picked a good one. Here’s to another 10 years together.

20. Congrats on 10 years! That is a big accomplishment!!

21. Cindy Gordon says:

What a fun vacation memory. I went on a cruise with my mom, but I haven’t with my husband yet. We so need a vacation!

22. Akhil Sharma says:

This is so sweet, By the way, cruising is my dream. I never experienced something too sybaritic.

23. Nicole Escat says:

Aw! What a sweet moment! Sounds like you two are going stronger and stronger. I hope to hear more!

24. Ryan Escat says:

Oh, finish the sentence Friday sounds a nice link up. I love your story, so sweet!

25. Karlyn Cruz says:

Wow, the both of you are so sweet! I can sense you will have a very wonderful future! Love the post!

26. wow, what a wonderful story. What a fabulous trip to take together. It’s so very sweet he proposed after you were married.

27. Love is such a beautiful story in itself. congratulations on getting married and your second son.

28. Kendra says:

It sounds like you had a great cruise! It’s so romantic that your husband re-proposed to you!

I love that he went round and did it again. What an awesome and romantic guy!

30. Wildish Jess says:

I have never been on a cruise but I want to go so bad! Having littles definitely makes it harder!

31. Echo says:

Awww, I love this! My husband and I are celebrating our anniversary today!

32. Dhemz says:

Awww, how sweet! Renewal of vows would be perfect for your 10th year anniversary. We’re addicted to cruising and looking forward for the next year.

33. christina aliperti says:

I love this! congrats and here’s to many more happy years together. Cruising is the way to go!

34. Robin Rue says:

This is so adorable! I can’t imagine a life cruising without my hubby either.

35. How sweet! No matter how awkward or bad your previous situation might feel, always remember that you are now into a better stage!