The Phone Call that Opened New Doors

The phone call started a chain of events that no one could foresee.

Maybe it was fate, maybe it was God, but the phone call that my husband made to his parents changed this entire school year, opened new doors and our eyes.

After telling them what had happened at the other school, my husband’s dad responded, “Why didn’t you look at [my previous school]?”

See, he used to work at another private school and in the three years that we’ve been in Florida, he never mentioned sending our children there.

He sent us a contact at School B and we started asking questions.

A few days later, my husband was contactedΒ completely randomly by someone who inquired about some community work he was doing. After some time, he realized that this person was going to be the new head of School B.

A few emails, phone calls, and visits later, we submitted an inquiry form. Conversations, meetings, and breakfasts later, the application.

Or I should say, the applications! Yes, somehow we were now in discussions to send ALL THREE of my children to this private school.

I had no idea that the discussion would turn this way.

I didn’t know that…

…our baby, at two years old, would start school.

…after much discussion to pull our son out of school, that we would, in turn, send him to another one.

…we would send our children to a private school, one that is attended by mainly rich, white people.

…we would pay to do all of this. Willingly.

Something in me felt the tides turning. I sensed it when I turned in their applications. To afford my children going to a private school, I have to return to work. We can’t afford it otherwise.

I didn’t know that I would go back to work and no longer be the primary caregiver for my children.

As a stay-at-home mom for almost five years, this is daunting. It’s surprisingly harder to think about returning than it was to decide to stay home. I haven’t been on a rigid schedule in some time.

But I’ve started to apply for 9-5, to reach out for more flexible positions, to open new doors, to dive further into my creativity to make an income on my terms.

These next few months are intimidating. I don’t know where this site is going or whether it will stay. I hope I can manage it.

32 comments on “The Phone Call that Opened New Doors”

1. Best of luck finding work. It must feel very daunting to you. But it also sounds like fate!

2. Oh what stress, April! I know you can manage it but I truly hope that everything works out really well and the best that you can hope for!

3. Transition is so hard! I’m in your same boat – considering entering the work force again after years of being a SAHM. It’s humbling to say the least! Hang in there! You’ve got this!!!

4. Mardra says:

Found this bit lately – “Old ways won’t open new doors” Good luck embracing hte next adventures

5. Visiting from #FTSF. I don’t envy your stress! As a working mama, though, I hope you find a job you like well enough (let’s be realistic) and that gives you a bit of flexibility you’ll need when someone gets sick or the school has those blasted half days. Hugs to you!

6. Hey April,
    I hope you can find your North star when it comes to work home mom life balance. Its essential that you think hard about whether a 9-5 is what you really want to is your partner willing to hold the fort as you dive deeper into being a Full time blogger, monetize your systems and start to make a real income online. Its doable, it needs a huge sacrifice and several skillsets learnt.

I truly hope you can find a way to keep your blog going, but if you cant, its okay too.

Congrats on your little one getting into your school of choice πŸ™‚

Good luck on your job search. I hope you find something you enjoy.

8. I know you will find a job soon. Don’t worry, everything is going to be ok.

9. Amy Jones says:

Amazing experience! This was meant for you..I do believe in fate

I wish you guys the best of luck! It’s all going to be worth it, that’s for sure. There’s nothing better than investing in your child’s education. I’m glad you’re willing to make the necessary adjustments to give them a brighter future.

11. Crystal says:

Good luck with your job search. Right now I’m in the same boat, very stressful time.

12. victoria says:

Good luck on your Job search

13. Tami Qualls says:

I would love for you to stay home but I know you have to do what is best for your family. I worked outside the home while raising my two oldest children. Now I have a three year old and finally quit my job. I do hope this last child will never have to be see me work outside the home.

14. Karlyn Cruz says:

Woah! You will get over these things eventually. Hope that everything will be okay and hope you find a suitable job for you.

15. Niesha Byln says:

May the favor be on your side, good luck on the job hunting. I hope you find one soon.

16. CourtneyLynne says:

Ahhhhhh I ended up putting my daughter in school when she turned two… it was such a scary thought, but it really ended up being the best decision for all!

17. Change is always intimidating to me. I worry about it only to discover that change is usually always a good thing. Good luck with finding a 9 to 5 job. I hope you love what you do.

18. Holly says:

Sending kids to school can be hard. I hope you figure things out.

19. chei says:

Nothing is impossible. You can handle all stress. That’s what life is. πŸ™‚ Goodluck and Godbless.

20. Mhaan A says:

Hope you can find a job that works best for your schedule. I know everything will turn out well. Goodluck dear.

Mhaan | http://www.mommyrockininstyle.com

21. Good luck on the job hunt and everything it brings for the future!

22. Niesha Byln says:

My son is already 3 but we haven’t send him to school because I think he is not yet ready. I hope you find a great job suitable for you/

23. I love the quote…if opportunity doesn’t knock…build a door! Goodluck with your transition.

24. tauyanm says:

you can do it girl! do it for the future of your kids and family. i guess i ma lucky that my husband company pays almost everything, But i am sure you can do it!

25. Momina Arif says:

I can;t imagine how stressful this can be but I do sure hope everything works out πŸ™‚

Good luck to you. What a wonderful gift to give your children. I looked into it here, and there’s NO way I can afford it (yet).

27. You’ve got this! It will be a big adjustment for your family, but you will be great!

28. I hope things work out for you! Having my son in private school was the best decision of my life!

29. Glenda says:

I totally understand how you feel. I know that empty feeling you get when my kids start school. I promise things will get better! Best of luck with job hunting! πŸ™‚

30. CourtneyLynne says:

Wishing you the best!!! Finding work can be challenging!

31. Colette S says:

The tides are a turning indeed.
    I understand your thought process.
    I hope you’ll find a great job to help your family.