Class of 2030: The Search for the Perfect School

This story begins at the end of last school year.

For my son, Bunny, we decided to homeschool school him for the summer to see how he’d do. Traditional, public school wasn’t working and if I’m going to work this hard as a parent, I may as well do all of the work. We enrolled him in Florida Virtual School (FLVS) and got him started.

For my daughter, Bee, we were considering sending her to school for the first time.  At four, the state of Florida allows children to attend school, to a voluntary pre-kindergarten program, paid for by the state. Bee is four.

Bee has asked to attend school since she could understand that we were dropping Bunny off there every day. We explained that it was a place to learn, grow and make friends. I think it was the “friends” that attracted her most.

Now that it was time, I was excited to give her that opportunity. As we searched for a new school, I received advice from friends, reviews from colleagues, online information and websites were abundant. But where was the best place to send my precious little girl?

Private School?

A quick Google search showed me the opening of a new school. It was private, expensive and very cool. The foundation of the school is STEM (or STEAM): science, technology, engineering, (arts), mathematics. I’ll tell you more about the “cool factor” later.

I wasn’t sure how we would afford it, on one income and all. I mean, I make some cash from this blog, but for the most part, it pays for itself and gives me some spending cash, hardly enough to finance a private school education.

But I was curious. Curious to see what they said, curious to see what the difference was from the traditional public school that we had utilized over the last several years. So, I submitted a request for the particulars. I signed up to go to their informational session. I even got my husband to buy in. We attended the session together.

What we saw was intriguing. The session itself was, well, a school informational session, all shiny and new. But for the kids, the kids played with robotics and technology while mom and dad were busy. The teachers sat down on the floor and walked my girls through how to use them. The teachers watched while my girls played.

By far, their favorite was this little robot that followed whatever line you drew. Bee had a blast drawing lines and then placing the robot down to follow. I know this because she spent a few minutes after the meeting telling me the ends and outs of how it works.

“We would like to see Bee again. When can you come in for an interview?” the administrator asked as we were leaving.

Until she asked, I don’t think the possibility of my daughter going to a private school was real.

My husband and I had a long discussion on the way home and I scheduled an interview the following Monday.

I was nervous. I had never put my children up for an interview or audition of any sort.

The Interview

The interview was fantastic. Bee’s knowledge, memory, and understanding rocked the tester. I was a proud momma. Then Butterfly started strutting her stuff (because where would I go without both of my girls?).

The second part of the interview was more of a robotics play session. Remember I told you about the “cool factor”, this was it. She went to another room and played with various robotics toys: a 3d printer (well, not played with, but watched it work), Google cardboard, and a whole lotta other stuff.

If you haven’t tried Google cardboard, you have to try it. It’s a 3D map rendition of the world. Once you download the app, this $15 device will help you see the world literally through new eyes. Virtual reality is at your fingertips and for cheap!

Anywho, my daughter got into the school. We were excited and my husband went to tell his family.

This fairly innocent phone call changed the rest of our summer and possibly the rest of our lives.

continued here…

44 comments on “Class of 2030: The Search for the Perfect School”

1. Robin Masshole Mommy says:

It’s STEM and my kids school focuses on it as well. My kids definitely go to the best school there is.

2. Kathy says:

It’s so important to make sure you choose the right school for children..or if you choose homeschooling you’ll want to make sure you have a lot of time to help them. Both of my girls are in public schools and they love it.

It’s nice to see parents so focused and dedicated to give their kids the best education there is. it’s one of the best things that we can give them after all. I would be proud too, your daughter is amazing! I’m glad she got in!

4. Amanda Love says:

That’s amazing! I’m glad you have everything setup for all the kids. It’s not easy to decide since they are all different. Congratulations on your daughter rocking that interview and the exam as well! I would feel proud too.

5. Congratulations! You must be one proud mommy. I also did my very best to get my kids enrolled in the best schools. Education is our priority and it is the only legacy I can give my kids. Thankfully, they did not make my sacrifice go to waste.

6. STEM really sounds like one of the best candidates if I were to have kid enrolled. As good as these options are, parents should never forget that they are still the best teachers, in and out of the classroom. Did I say in? It’s true!

7. rika says:

I agree with Private Schools are expensive…. I think its very important for parents to choose the right school for their kids

8. Google Cardboard is so much fun. Sounds like your girls did a great job at their interviews and took all the challenges in stride.

9. Lisa Rios says:

As a parent every one of us is very much dedicated to provide the best education for our kids and it is important to make sure you choose the right school as well. I would love to check out the Google cardboard App to see how it works!

10. Nilsa M says:

Congratulations mama! as moms we will do anything for our kids! can’t wait to read all about your family’s educational journey!

11. Finding the right way to teach our children is so important. I love the idea of a STEM based program for kids. It’s a great way to actively engage them in learning!

12. Aw, huge congrats to your girl and honestly this is awesome news. Definitely have a reason to celebrate and be a proud momma!! 🙂

13. Brandy says:

Picking the right school for your kids is really important. There are so many things that you need to keep in mind when looking for the right school!

14. What a couple of smarty pants you have! Sounds like they were showing off their big old noodles.

15. I’ve never heard of Google cardboard before. I wish we had better schools and options here. So happy your daughter got in.

16. Jeanine says:

Congrats! That is fabulous!
    STEM is something I am going to be speaking to my school admins about this year – my kids don’t do enough of it at school and its important!

17. Marcie W. says:

I feel so many qualities can make up the perfect school and that definition could be different for every person. You just ultimately have to do what is best for your family.

It’s awesome that your daughter did so well in the interview. The school sounds really cool so far!

19. Pam says:

I hadn’t even heard of Google Cardboard until I read your blog post today. Private school interviews can be scary but it seems like your daughter rocked it.

20. Amazing! That sounds like a great school and learning experience for your daughter. I have one in high school (9th grade) and one that has a few years to go before I can start thinking about schools, but it’s already on my mind. I’ve been considering private or homeschooling for my youngest. I want to give her the best education possible. Good luck on her interview!

21. I cannot wait to hear the rest of this story. We had some problems with sending our daughter to public school and eventually home schooled her.

22. I am so intrigued. I will be patiently waiting to hear what happened next. It can be hard to find the right education path for our kids.

23. Congratulations to your daughter and to you, the proud parents as well. I am happy that you do your best to support your child’s dreams by giving her the best education.

24. Nicole Etolen says:

Oh, I am a little bit worried for choosing the perfect school for my son. Thanks for sharing this.

25. It’s tough making decisions for your kids when it comes to education. You definitely want the best school that can cater to their needs. I’m glad everything went well and that your kids are each going to a school that are fit for them!

26. Nikki Wayne says:

Oh, my son will be schooling next year. I think I will be on a struggle in choosing which school.

27. Melissa says:

Ultimately the way you choose to give your child an education will shape her life in ways that are hard to articulate. Bravo to you for taking such care to find both of them the best educational options!

28. Brianne says:

Wishing you the best of luck trying to find a perfect school. We are in the process over here trying to evaluate where my son should go.

29. Monica says:

Congratulations on this incredible milestone! You must be so proud.

30. mary says:

This is awesome. I absolutely love when I see involved parents like yourself. So many times parents are not involved in their kids education

31. Choosing the right school can be a big challenge to every parent. And planning everything with your kids is really important.

32. Gervin Khan says:

This is a nice read. I will share this post to all moms, education is great but should be in your choice.

33. Ann Bacciaglia says:

It can be a challenge to find a school that fits your child’s needs. It is a good idea to start looking early.

34. Christie says:

Oh wow, I haven’t even thought of the fact that my child will be “the class of…” yet. It’s great to weigh all of the options for the best possible school experience

35. Kita Bryant says:

I began school at the age of 4 as well. I’m glad I did as well. I was homeschooled after that and it was amazing as well. Whatever is best for your child.

36. CourtneyLynne says:

Ahhhh choosing the best school is so important. We bought a house specifically for the fact that this area has awesome schools

I’ve been playing with private school ideas. It’s a secret sort of (I’ve told two people) to make it a reality.

38. Nicole Escat says:

I am thinking of homeschooling my son. I am worried about bullies.

39. Maria says:

Gah! I can’t even start thinking about graduating year but it’ll be here for my kids before I know it!

40. Kristin says:

My husband grew up in private schools and benefited. Ours daughters are in decent public schools but he makes a huge effort to expose them to new things all the time. Education is important.