Blessings through a Pregnancy Story

April Noelle and Bunny | AprilNoelle.com

One day, over five years ago, my husband and I made a conscious decision for me to become a stay at home mother with the birth of our next child. This was by no means his push, it was completely mine. Being a mom who did the majority of the cooking, cleaning and child-raising were wearing on me and I was just tired.

More than that, I was an awful wife.

And I probably wasn’t that great of a mother.

My husband worked long hours and made it home most nights to put our son to bed.

For me, it was too much.

Even before staying home, I knew my life would change.

The day started out just like no other. I woke up, dressed, dressed my son. I was a little off, tired, drained, but chalked it up to a short night of sleep.

Then something new happened.

I walked from my front door to my car and was completely winded. I had to catch my breath before I started the car. A walk no more than 100 feet had completely winded me, a walk without stairs or incline, a walk on a cool winter’s morning.

Blessings | Bee and Butterfly | AprilNoelle.comSomething was off. Something was different.

The next few days, I continued in exhaustion. No more stairs to my office. Out came the rolling suitcase from the high closet shelf. I couldn’t walk a flight of stairs without breaking a sweat, so I stopped trying.

When I finally took the test, it confirmed what I had already suspected. I was pregnant. (SIDE NOTE: Did you know WalMart sells pregnancy tests for 88 cents? Yeah, they do and I got three, just in case.)

They all confirmed my theory. I was pregnant. After trying for less than a month, we were going to become parents again.

The rest of the pregnancy continued poorly, adding nausea, a never ceasing sweet tooth and massive swelling.

My exhaustion didn’t end either. I came home every day, just awake enough to make my son a sandwich for dinner and take a nap on the couch. The nap almost always turned to bedtime. Luckily my son was pretty self-sufficient and homework was minimal.

I made it through the pregnancy without any medical problems, just major discomfort, only to give birth to a beautiful little girl who would still make my life pretty miserable.

She was momma’s girl. Bee did not want to be held by anyone else, refused to take a bottle and wouldn’t sleep more than 20 minutes on her own. She loved cuddling and nuzzling with me and sleeping with me and playing with me.

Close to her first birthday, she finally decided that she would let the others who loved her into her life, into our circle.

Then we found out another little girl was going to be part of my family.

The exhaustion hadn’t wavered and now there would be three!

I worried, I made plans, we made moves. But now, here they are, my gorgeous girls: Bee and Butterfly.

Bee and Butterfly | AprilNoelle.com

Bee and Butterfly | AprilNoelle.com

Butterfly and Bee | AprilNoelle.com

April Noelle and her kids | AprilNoelle.com

Growing up, I never considered being a mother, especially not a mother of three, with one in heaven. I have grown mentally, spiritually, and emotionally.

These blessings have changed my life for the better and I would never want anything different.

*******

This has been a Finish the Sentence Friday post. The sentence is “When it comes to blessings…” and it’s an extra-special week because we’re linking up with the Blessings Month with Tuesday Ten and #1000Speaks for Compassion. Write about “When it comes to blessings…” or Ten Ways I can bless people… or Ten Ways I am Blessed…

The linkup is available from August 4th to 11th (one week), and you can link up with any of our hosts:
YvonneVidyaand Michelle (the blessings thinker-upper) for #1000Speaks
Rabia and Lisa for their Tuesday Ten
and me,  for Finish the Sentence Friday

19 comments on “Blessings through a Pregnancy Story”

1. April I so so love the photos. I think the one of Bee and Butterfly being all sassy by the door is my favorite but I love them all. Isn’t amazing how much motherhood changes us… sigh. When I was pregnant, I was convinced I’d continue my career but I quit before maternity leave was even over. Financially, it was crazy. Emotionally and blessings-wise, it was perfect. <3 So glad you linked up.

I remember that pregnancy exhaustion so clearly! Even now if I sleep for 14 hours a night, I’ll assume I’m either pregnant or sick!
    What beautiful blessings you have.

Definitely. I don’t even assume I’m sick, because my illness always comes with something else. 🙂

You are truly blessed and sometimes we forget to see how blessed we are when we’re drowned in stress and problems. I think it’s great that you learned a lot, and you will continue learning as the kids grow older.

Thank you. My kids mean the world to me. 🙂

4. Kerry says:

Children are blessings, the best example of blessings really. Lots of work though.
    🙂
    Excellent prompt and nice that all these groups are able to connect for one giant linkup.

5. rika says:

Thanks for sharing your personal story! Such a beautiful family! Children are blessings

6. Nikki Wayne says:

Pregnancy is a great blessing. I am so glad to hear about your story.

7. Wow what beautiful children you have. Theres no feeling that can beat being a mother! Congratulations on your family!

8. Emily says:

Your family is beautiful. I had a friend who had some miscarriages so when she got pregnant again and would feel nauseous she always reminded herself that it was a good thing to feel nauseous because that was a sign that she was still pregnant. I thought it was a beautiful way to try and stay positive even when REALLY not feeling well.

Sounds like a great way to feel appreciative when you’re awake! 🙂 Having birthed four children, I’m very appreciative that I can hold three of them tightly.

9. Akhil Sharma says:

Moms are moms; no one can replace them, no one can estimate their sacrifices and love. You are an inspirational mother.

Ah thank you. I try. 🙂

Ah exhaustion is a sure sign for me too. And I agree, we do learn a lot about our selves and the decisions we make, when we have little ones who hold us accountable (Whether THEY know it or not, we do). 🙂

Oh, I’m so glad they don’t know it. 🙂

11. Ron Leyba says:

April, I always love your story and your post. You really have a beautiful and amazing family. A real TREASURE!

Aww, thank you. I enjoy writing about them.

12. What beautiful blessings they are! The only time I feel like I experienced that pure exhaustion when I think the sperm was trying very hard to get to egg. LOL! I beleive in my heart that is a day I called in sick to work and sleep all day while my body got me pregnant. The next day I was as good as new and a week or so later I took a positive pregnancy test. My son is my blessing too. At the time I had “thrown in the towel” for awhile and said I’d give myself a break from trying.

13. Dana says:

This sentence struck me: “When I started making purposeful decisions for people who weren’t me, I understood when I was being selfish and when I wasn’t.” So true! I loved reading the story of how your family came to be – your children are beautiful, April! May they continue to be blessings in your life.