Midtown East, NYC {Summer 2016}

Have you ever had that weekend getaway that went exactly as planned… or unplanned? That was our Fourth of July weekend.

So soon after our little NYC getaway in December, a good friend of mine (and podcast co-host, Kweyah) chose Queens, NY to get married. Since it was already an extended weekend, we decided to get in on Thursday to leave on Monday, staying in Midtown East, NYC. The trip was magnificent.

Unlike our last trip in December, we didn’t overpack the trip. We took it easy. We “planned” something big for each day, deciding as the day progressed.

Thursday: The Late Show with Stephen Colbert
Friday: The Museum of Modern Art
Saturday: Rockefeller Center and walking the Queensboro bridge
Sunday: Church and Wedding
Monday: Home

The Late Show with Stephen Colbert

Getting into The Late Show was somewhat of a last-minute deal. We got to the Ed Sullivan Theater at 2:15 hoping to get a guaranteed spot. Although we didn’t actually get tickets, everyone ended up getting into that show. At first, I didn’t know the guests: Ellie Kemper, Patrick Fugit, and a musical performance by We Are Scientists. Then I saw the first clip, the Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (a Netflix fave).

The theater had so much energy and lightheartedness. Hon Batiste and Stay Human has the place rocking the whole time. They played through each commercial break, even walking the aisles. This was a perfect way to kick off our trip.

The Museum of Modern Art

We designated Friday to see MoMA, having been told that it’s easily a four-hour visit. Jeff got the tickets at a place called Tiqets. The same price as a regular ticket, we were able to skip the line and were able to get into a preview of a new exhibit. We took advantage of the free audio tours, allowing us to get into the minds of the artists while looking at the art, hearing more about the history that the little placard told you. I also really liked the kid version of the audio tour, it was lighthearted and insightful. I really enjoyed the fifth and sixth floors the most, with the Degas exhibit: A Strange New Beauty headlining.

Rockefeller Center

In search for a Pret a Manger, we found ourselves downstairs in Rockefeller Center. I didn’t know that there was a mall or an observation deck. Bad tourist, tsk, tsk. So we walked around a bit and found a Pret and took a look around the mall. Pictures below.

Queensboro Bridge

We stayed in Midtown at a hotel called Fifty NYC, seemingly within a mile from most attractions. Jeff had this great idea that we should walk the Queensboro bridge. A sign said it was closed, but we found the entrance. That was a hard walk. The walk across the bridge was longer than getting to it. If I had known how long the walk actually was, I might have said no. I’m glad I didn’t. It was an adventure.

Church

We were invited to Abyssinian Baptist Church in Harlem for a service. Our alarms didn’t go off, so we used Uber for the first time. Our driver was extremely kind and the car was comfy, without the glass divider between the driver and us. Well worth the extra cash, we arrived on time and not sweaty.

Wedding

There’s too much goodness for a quick paragraph here, so I’ll post it later.

Here are just some of the pictures from our trip:

58 comments on “Midtown East, NYC {Summer 2016}”

1. I have walked the Queensboro Bridge so many times. It is my favorite thing to do in the summer.

2. Amy Jones says:

Sounds like you had a great time! Visiting the MoMA has always been of the list of things I want to do, I hope I can visit New York some day

3. My lovely NY, I always enjoy the Rockefeller Center, it is one of my favorite places in that beautiful and awesome city.

4. Courtney Gillard says:

NYC is a very nice place to visit. Sounds like you have enjoyed your visit there!

5. Wow! This looks like so much fun 🙂 There’s so much to do. I would love to see stephen Colbert!

6. Heather says:

Sounds like a packed fun weekend! I have always wanted to visit NYC, especially Rockefeller Center and Central Park. Love Stephen Colbert too!

7. Echo says:

Oh my goodness, what an adventure! I want to visit NYC someday. I haven’t been yet. I would go to Times Square, Radio City Music Hall, The Statue of Liberty and so much more!

There’s just so much to see and do in NYC. If it’s your first time it would be nice to take some of the tours that are being offered in the city. Although it would be nice to do some exploring yourself as well. Love these suggestions!

I’ve heard of uber. I haven’t tried it ever though. Glad to hear you had a good experience.

10. awesome my friend just came back from NYC and my uncle is touring right now. will send to them. i would love to visiti NYC someday

11. Kathy Kenny Ngo says:

There’s so much things to do and they look all fun. Added on my bucket list already!

I’m going to NYC tomorrow! I’m nervous. I have a hotel reservation near Times Square for Blogger Bash. Whoa!
    I love that you went to Colbert!

If it weren’t for the wedding, I would’ve totally went to blogger bash! Times Square was a quick mile walk away. I loved it.

13. I cancelled my trip to NYC last month. But looking at this, well, I’m kind of sorry that I did.

Oh, why did you cancel?

14. Amy Jones says:

Looks like it was an amazing adventure!!

I have been to NYC a couple of times of plenty to see. These are ones I have not heard of.

16. Sounds like the perfect kind of get away to me. I love when things come together even if they are not planned you just know that was the way it was meant to be.

17. Sarah Bailey says:

I have never been to New York but I totally need to make the trip across the pond one of these days!

18. Robin Rue says:

NYC is one of my favorite places EVER! So much to do and see that there is never a dull moment.

19. victoria says:

NYC was a nice place to have an vacation with the family, I want to go there someday.

20. I got to visit NYC last summer for a movie premiere. It was my first trip and I loved the city. I can’t wait to go back someday!

21. tp keane says:

We drove to NYC twice now and we didn’t get around to half the stuff we wanted to see. Must go again and try some of these ones.

Yes, we didn’t even try this time. We went last December and rushed, but I enjoyed this time much more because we enjoyed all of the places so much more. No thinking about what’s next.

22. I would love to visit New York one day. i’d like to go there in winter and enjoy the days before Christmas, when all the city is dressed up.

Winter is my favorite time there! It’s gorgeous!

23. Very nice locations to visit. I live in New York and I know there is so much to do so its nice that you got to experience many things

Not sure that I could live there, but would love to go a few times a year.

24. Kathy says:

I’ve never been to NYC before. I think these sound like some great ideas if I’m ever in the area. I love the museum of art idea.

That sounded like such a fun NYC trip. It’s really cool that you were able to see the Late Show!

26. Pamela Kuhn says:

Sound like an interesting trip. I’ve never been to New York City and I’m ashamed to say that. We keep saying “someday.” Right now we keep saying, “When the dissertation is written we’ll…” I hope he gets it done soon!

27. Nice pictures! It sounds like a great weekend. Rockefeller Center, Stephen Colbert, a museum and a wedding. Action packed!

28. Karlyn Cruz says:

Oh, so nice! You have a great experienced at NYC! I like how you spent your stay.

29. Nicole Escat says:

My sister is a Baptist, she will be happy to know that you visit a Baptist church at NYC.

30. It sounds like you had a good time. There is so much to do in East NYC, I have always wanted to go.

31. CourtneyLynne says:

Oooo sounds like you has one great time!!! You did a lot!!!!

32. Ashley says:

I love NYC! I haven’t been for years though.

It’s been a while for me too. I’ve gone for work but it would be nice to spend some time exploring there.

33. Mhaan A says:

Wow such a fun experience. Hope we can go there someday. Thanks for sharing!

34. Melissa Bernardo says:

I visited NYC once and I loved it. Cannot wait to go back!

35. Glenda Kruse says:

Sounds like you have a great time. I love New York City, there is so much things to do and so many awesome places to eat.

36. DannyUK.com says:

I think that the Museum of Modern Art would be high on my list. I’ve never been to NYC though, so the list is extremely long!

37. Berlin says:

Most friends recommend we visit NYC. Certainly a new place, new culture and even new food to try that make me more excited.

38. I know I’d have a blast at any or all of these sites. I’ve never been to NYC and if I ever make it, I’ll go wild with seeing a city of this size for the first time.

39. I love the MOMA. The last time I was in NYC I checked it out with a friend. They had an amazing video installation. It was mesmerizing.

40. I have always wanted to attend one of the late shows in person but havent had the chance yet.

41. Nikki Wayne says:

Oh, what a wonderful day at Midtown East. I am so glad that visiting a church is part of it.

42. RUSS says:

It must have been a fun trip. I like how you guys had something ‘major’ planned per day – it’s make the trip like you guys are on a mission. I dig museums and would love to visit the Museum of Modern Art.

43. Nicole Etolen says:

I like to go to NYC, there are so many things to do there. What a wonderful experienced.

44. I love Stephen Colbert. I have loved him for many years. I would love to go see him on the Late Show. That would be such a treat.

45. I’ve been to NYC a few times, and have not made it to the MoMA yet. I don’t think my sweetie would last hours and hours in the museum, though, and I wouldn’t want to go alone. Seeing the Degas exhibit would have been really nice.

46. Lisa Rios says:

Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend as planned. I am sure there is a lot to explore at NYC and Queensboro Bridge is definitely a nice place to visit and the pictures are great too!

47. Kristen says:

I love the Moma! I am glad you included it on the list!

48. Milena says:

I don’t think there is anything about the city that I don’t like. I live about hour and half away so I visit often!

49. I dream of visiting the Rockefeller Center I Dream of NY so much I better get it done soonest. So much to chose from this wide beautiful planet! All these wonderful places to see…its like I was there with you!

Sounds Like you enjoyed visiting NY too. Thanks for taking us on a journey with you!

50. Colette S says:

What a list.
    I really would love to visit for awhile sometime.
    It seems so very far away from us! 🙂

51. Kathy Kenny Ngo says:

How I wish I can visit NY too. Well, I am working hard to achieve it tho. Goodluck to me!