Summer Camp at Home: Music Theme {and many more themes}

Music

This summer, I am collaborating with a great group of women to bring your 7 Weeks of Summer Camp at Home. Each week, we will be bringing you new books, snacks, recipes and activities to enjoy with your children. I’m bringing to you a week’s worth of musical activities for your young ones.

I’ve always dreamed of having a musical household. So I’m making it happen. My son playing piano and the rest of us singing loud and often. When the mood suits me to go all-in, I love to teach them some of the fundamentals of music. Not just for fun, students in high-quality school music programs score higher on standardized tests compared to students in schools with deficient music education programs, regardless of the socioeconomic level of the school or school district. (Johnson, C. M. & Memmott, J. E. (2007))

Summer Camp at Home

This summer, create a home summer camp with a Music theme.  My kids are so musical and love singing, dancing and playing instruments. It’s part of our routine year round. Yet, thinking about this summer, I wanted to do a concentrated lesson plan.

Books

Music Theme Summer Camp at Home

For the really little (birth to 5 years old), I recommend the Sing Along With Me! series which has five slider mechanisms and a QR code inside that links to both an instrumental and vocal version of the nursery rhyme. Simply scan for little ones to listen and sing along!

Wheels on the Bus
Old McDonald Had a Farm
Row, Row, Row Your Boat
If You’re Happy and You Know it
Incy Wincy Spider

For the ones a little older (5+), I recommend getting more into the different genres of music:

Realistic Rock for Kids
Hip Hop Speaks to Children
Take-Off: American All-Girl Bands During World War II
Trombone Shorty
My First Orchestra Book

Snacks

Xylophone Tart | Guitar Deviled Eggs | Music Note Veggie Tray | Mini Drum Cakes | Microphone Cake Pops

Guitar Deviled Eggs

Ingredients:

6 Eggs
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 1/2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
1/2 tablespoon of dill relish
Salt and pepper to taste
Dash of paprika
Celery or carrots for garnish

Directions:

Place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan. Add water to depth of 3 inches. Bring to a boil. Cover, remove from heat, and let stand 15 minutes.

Drain and fill the saucepan with cold water and ice. Tap each egg firmly on the counter until cracks form all over the shell. Peel under cold running water.

Slice eggs in half lengthwise, and carefully remove yolks. Mash yolks with mayonnaise. Add relish, salt, and pepper. Stir well. Spoon yolk mixture into egg whites. Dash of paprika to top.

Cut celery into 3-inch pieces and/or slice the baby carrots lengthwise and place on top.

Serve.

Music Note Veggie Tray

Music Theme- Summer Camp At Home SeriesThis super simple vegetable display gets the kiddos to eat their veggies while being fun and playful.

With just four ingredients, you can prepare this in just a few minutes.

Ingredients:

Baby Carrots
Grape Tomatoes
Celery
Dressing

Activities

Make your own instruments

Popsicle Stick Harmonica  |  Kazoo  |  Microphone  |  Bongo Shaker Güiro  |  Guitar

Make music everywhere

Take a drumstick or chopstick and let the kids bang on a bunch of different items, such as pots, pans, bowls, cabinets, boxes, etc. If you have a little time, make musical glasses.

Music Water Glasses Activities | AprilNoelle.com

Photo from: Connections Academy

This post is part of a HUGE resource for you!  We’re joining 13 other bloggers in 7 weeks of themed Summer Camp at Home activities.  These themed activities will fill the weeks of summer with learning, fun, and play.  Check out all of the Summer Camp at Home themes below:

Missed any of the Summer Camp at Home Series. Check them out here:

Week 1: Monday 5/30 – Self-Love ThemeOcean Theme
Week 2: Monday 6/6 –  Saving Money ThemeGardening/Going Green Theme
Week 3: Monday 6/13 – Black History ThemeMusic Theme
Week 4: Monday 6/20 – STEM Theme (Science, Technology, Engineering & Math)Water Fun Theme
Week 5: Monday 6/27 – Health & Fitness ThemeArt Theme
Week 6: Monday 7/4 – Dinosaur ThemeCooking Theme
Week 7: Monday 7/11 – Astronomy Theme & Around the World Theme

7 Weeks of Summer Camp at Home | AprilNoelle.com

55 comments on “Summer Camp at Home: Music Theme {and many more themes}”

1. These are wonderful ideas! I love the music note veggie platter! So cute and a wonderful way to encourage our little music lovers to eat their veggies!

2. Robin Masshole Mommy says:

Sounds like fun! I am planning on doing a lot of STEM activities with my boys this summer.

3. Nicole Etolen says:

Summer camp at home sounds like a fun thing to do. I like your idea, very creative.

This summer camp at home is such a lovely idea! It’s a great way to continue learning even when school is out and you get to cut the costs too because you don’t have to enroll them in an actual camp. Love the activities listed here!

5. Nicole Escat says:

I like these unique ideas! I love to make a musical water glass too!

6. I love the snacks and the Musical Water Glasses! These are great. I too have dreamed of a musical house but so far it doesn’t seem like that’s happening yet.

Girl, you got to make it happen. I love it when the music is off in the car and my kids break off in song before they realize they can listen to music. Butterfly (the baby) sings the most, so she’s the one likely to start it.

7. MJ says:

I love this April. My daughter just attended a music, arts and Spanish summer camp. Her class made 5 instruments during that week. She loves them all.

Spanish too? That’s a great elective type camp. How well will she know Spanish by the end of the summer?

I want those deviled eggs!
    I want music camp.
    My friends own a nearby music school so Scarlet and Cassidy will be starting piano/vocal lessons this summer. I hope. I can’t wait until our house is filled with the sound of music!

That is so cool that Cassidy is starting too! I think I’ll start taking piano this fall and join my son. I also want to start up vocal lessons. Man, I want a lot of lessons, there are so many more!

9. Ron Leyba says:

Thanks for sharing some of these amazing music themes :). Might use some of them real soon.

10. Kathy says:

That is such a great idea. I would love to do this with my girls. I bet they’d enjoy it so much. I have a lot of nieces and nephews too, so this would be great for all.

11. This is such a cool idea! I will have to try some of these things with my 3 year old!

12. This sounds like a fun way to keep the kids learning and staying busy during the summer. I should use a few of these ideas for my youngest, he loves music.

13. This really sounds like it would be way fun. I love every single one of your ideas.

14. Stephanie Ortez says:

I’m definitely going to make the guitar deviled eggs! great tips for a summer full of fun, I hate to see kids staying at home and not reaching their full potential during summer time. Thank you for the great tips!

15. This sounds like fun and I love the musical water. I also like the musical note veggie tray! Enjoy!

16. Tara Pittman says:

Great ideas for summer fun. My boys are having fun this summer at VBS this week.

17. Amy Jones says:

Sounds like a perfect idea, inviting home all the little cousins of the family and doing this summer camp must be a fun experience

18. This is a great idea and I couldn’t love your theme more! Music is such a huge part of my life. I can’t imagine a day without it.

19. This is awesome! I’ve been trying to keep my youngest busy, and we’ve been working on reading. I think a theme would excite her.

20. Lexie Lane says:

This is a nice idea that I’d like to do in my house. My son haven’t experienced camp, so I will try this!

21. Mauie says:

This sounds like fun! Thanks for sharing so many music theme-related ideas.

22. This is perfect! I’m always looking for fun ways to keep my kiddos busy and this is just what they need 😀

23. cris says:

Goes to prove you don’t have to travel to bring summer to the family.

24. Nikki Jenner says:

I never thought of summer camp at home is possible. I love your ideas, thanks for this!

25. Erlene A says:

Wow, what a great series for moms during the summer. I’m sure these activities will help keep little ones busy & learning too.

26. I am totally pinning this info! With a little one at home I always need new ideas on how to keep us busy!

27. Liz Cleland says:

We will definitely have to read and use these over the Summer time.

28. Kids would really enjoy summer if it is as fun as this one. Musical theme in every event can really make kids dance and make wonderful memories to go along with.

29. Another great idea for keeping the kids entertained. I love how you tied in the music theme with books and snacks. Looks like so much fun.

30. Kelly says:

I really love this post! It has so many great ideas in it. The themes are are great.

31. tauyanm says:

love the ideas! my daughter and I is trying zumba for holiday!

32. Courtney Gillard says:

Nice activities to do at home. I never tried to camp at home but I am looking forward of doing it this father’s day.

Ah so fun, and hurrah for the veggie tray. 🙂 I like that Sing Along with Me has instrumental and voice versions.

34. lalaine says:

What a great concept! Love the many activity and food ideas, am sure these will make summer more fun for the kids

35. My daughter is the book lover out of my two kids (when she’s not trying to eat the darn thing lol). I need to pick up a few more books for her collection!

36. Amanda Love says:

Oh this sounds like a really great theme. This summer we have quite a few plans however but I plan on doing a few things here at home as well.

37. I love it. We play toddler Radio on Pandora some. I try to get my son to sing along. He loves it when he recognizes the songs now..

38. The musical theme’s just so awesome! I didn’t even notice sooner that those vegetables were lined up like a musical note, I’ll have to try all of these!

39. Leigh Anne Borders says:

This is such a fun activity to do this summer. We can really have some fun with some themes.

40. Maria says:

This is smart – great way to organize summer activities and learning for the kids.

41. rika says:

Thanks for sharing these ideas! My kids are spending their summer at home. I have to keep them active

42. Summer camp at home sounds an amazing idea! Great way to create lovely memories

43. krystal says:

Those mini drum cakes are adorable. My preschooler is home with me this summer so these are great ideas!