A Long, Long Time Ago

A long, long time ago, I wrote stories. I wrote stories about finding lost jewels, having tons of friends, and starting my own business. I wrote stories about dreaming and happiness and disappearing into a world far away, in alternative dimensions. I dove into a world that I wrote instead of lived.

Now, I don’t really write those stories anymore. I’m not sure if it’s that I don’t have time, or I don’t find the same inspiration as I did before. But the creativity simmers beneath the surface, only wishing that I could figure how to write, raise my children and clean the house all at the same time.

My stories have slowly come out as I’ve raised my children. Sometimes as entertainment, sometimes as a distraction. Now, they’ve become a part of our bedtime routine. Each daughter gets to choose a book to read, then my favorite part: made up story time.

Girls Spring 2016 | AprilNoelle.com

Normally Butterfly goes first… Her story typically goes: “Once upon a time, ddest destald cdkale ckeoal ckeale ckeolw.” for about three minutes. I have absolutely no idea what she’s saying even though when it’s not story time, she’s fairly articulate. I’ve asked her “say words” but I’ve given up. Each story is about the same. A lot of gibberish until she trails off and I declare “The End” and she follows along with “The End.”

Bee is a little different. Her stories always include the entire family, there’s always a mommy, daddy, brother and two sisters. Most of the time the girls go out to play (and the family tags along) and then they go home.

Finally, I tell a story, with the two sisters as the main characters. They have adventures in the woods, storm castles, make furry friends and play with princes and princesses.

Recently, my stories have centered around finance and budgeting, teaching the girls about how to have a healthy relationship with money and understanding what a budget is, how to thrift store or find great deals, and learning patience before purchasing.

I’m sure it’s because I’ve spent the last month planning a financial seminar and I’m working on putting on a financial series (coming soon) in my neighborhood. That’s sparked a series of stories in my head.

From there, my creativity has been sparked with a series of stories about these two rambunctious, adventurous little girls. So, anyone know a children’s book publisher? LOL.

Finish-the-Sentence-Friday-New-Pin-720-FUN-250-x-250

This has been a Finish the Sentence Friday post. This week’s sentence is “A long, long time ago and very far away, there lived…” (or “There once lived…” or “A long time ago…” or similar – you get the idea).

Your hosts: Kristi, from findingninee.com and this week’s sentence-thinker-upper, Deborah from Life is Like a Hand Grenade.

Finish the Sentence Friday is a link-up where writers and bloggers come together to share their themselves with a particular sentence. If you’d like to stay ahead of future sentences and participate, join our Facebook group.

31 comments on “A Long, Long Time Ago”

1. Aw the gibberish story is so adorable! I tell my son stories every night as well. It’s such an awesome snuggle time. Good luck with the financial seminar – that sounds amazing (and like a ton of work). Thanks much for linking up!

All I know is about self-publishing!
    That photo of the kids is AMAZING. I love the color.
    I used to write stories all the time. I did it almost by instinct. I haven’t done that in awhile. I tell nonfiction stories now. I used to do fiction.

3. Sarah Bailey says:

What a lovely thing to do at story time let your creativity flow as a family. x

4. Well you can always go with JK Rowling’s publisher 🙂
    The more ambitious the better
    Great post, adorable pic.
    Vaya con Dios with your awesome writing career.

5. My writing also changes as I go through experiences and as my grandchildren grow. Love that your girts enjoy telling stories.

Sounds like they’re really amazing stories! Don’t you just love it when your kids bring out your creativity and you also bring theirs out in return. It’s a very good bonding moment and it creates lovely memories.

7. Jojo Vito says:

I can just sense your joy of being a mother…it’s nice sharing your stories related to them 🙂

8. Delaine says:

Very creative, these sound like amazing stories. Very beautiful how children can bring out creativity.

9. Andrea says:

Bedtime story time is so important and just FUN!

10. My kids and me like to make up our own story’s at bedtime. We take it in turns to say a few sentences each, it is really fun and very silly

11. Robin Masshole Mommy says:

Things sure have changed for us, haven’t they? Such is life I suppose, right?

12. Raijean S says:

Congrats to you! The kids look adorable, I can’t wait to check it out.

13. Sometimes all it takes is a writing prompt to start a story. Other days motivation isn’t there. I think as long as you keep writing, the words will flow.

14. Jaclyn Anne says:

I love how your girls both tell such different stories 🙂 This post made me smile. Thank you for sharing!

15. I certainly could use some finance and budgeting advice. 😉 I will have to check out your stories some time.

Aww, I love that they each have a different way of telling stories. Having a novel or children’s book published that was inspired by your kids would be so cool.

17. adriana says:

What amazing stories! That picture of your kids is so precious!

18. Aw, how cute. I’ve come to understand that they have their own “baby language” and that’s what makes them so cute. I wish you luck and we hope to hear more of your writings again! I’ve stumbled upon the same roadblock with motivation before so I know how you fell.

19. wendy says:

Your girls are gorgeous! I love how you guys tell stories as a family. I think it is really neat to be able to let your children and your creative juices flow. This is a great post!

It’s so funny listening to what my daughter comes up with. It’s entertaining.

20. What a lovely family. I feel like we don’t spend enough time reading to our children anymore. We’re so busy making life happen until the this very important learning adventure gets put on the back burner. When my daughter was young, my husband and I read to her all the time, no matter what.

I missed your post as I was reading through the Finish The Sentence Friday additions the other day. It was your comment on my post that alerted me to yours. That’s what this is all about and I’m glad this gem presented itself to me.

Take care and I’ll be back!

Frances

It’s quite alright. Yes, we rush a big part of life, and slowing down is definitely necessary. Everyone is so busy, all of the time, but busy doing what?

21. Erica says:

I love looking back at the stories I use to write and often wonder why I don’t do more now. Thanks for sharing.

22. Kathy says:

This is really neat! Such a great story too. I read to my girls every night and they love it. They often make up their own stories too.

23. I have written many stories a long time ago as well. I keep wanting to go back to it and actually turn one into a book.

24. Ronnie Leyba says:

Such an amazing blogging theme. Finish the sentence can surely give you lots of things to write about.

25. Are those your daughters? They are so beautiful! They are lucky to hear your stories!

26. Lisa Rios says:

Your kids look super cute. I do write a lot of stories & when I look back at them, I can surely see a lot of change over the years since my kids came in to my life. They enjoy bed time stories & I love it when they come up with their own stories!

27. Berlin says:

My boys and I, of course the husband included, would also make up stories and legends. Its a fAvorite before we sleep activity and we would all end up laughing.

28. I think it’s great that your kiddos look forward to “made up story time” and obviously love your creative side! It’s a great way to keep your creative juices flowing!

29. It’s so important not to lose your stories, and to use them as a way to teach your family how valuable creativity can be. I love made up story time!