Before the Fine Lines Set In…

My friends always ask me why I round up for my age. As a woman, it’s a rarity to find a woman who ages herself. I feel like I’ve done a lot, accomplished a lot and sometimes I’m really prideful about my accomplishments. On those days, I feel really old like I’ve lived three lifetimes.

Other times I feel young and youthful, mostly when surrounded by my children. They remind me that I have a lot of life left to give, youthful at heart and spirit. For some reason, I quickly forget that.

Truthfully, I don’t sleep much. I was an 8-hour girl. I would easily go to bed at 11 p.m. and wake up at 7 a.m. or when I used to workout, I would go to bed at 9 p.m. and wake up at 5 a.m. No alarm clock needed. But now, I’m tired. Even if I get 8 hours of sleep, I’m too tired to pull myself out of bed. I’ll happily take that extra 20 minutes and crawl out later.

So when I was invited to an exclusive “art” event for Sculptra® Aesthetic in Miami, I was hesitant. I don’t feel old enough to need help with my looks.

Until I see…

…those bags under my eyes,

…those blemishes on my chin, and

…those fine lines around my mouth.

I’m not ready, at all, to face the visual effect of my aging.

I’ve realized that there’s a difference between the aging process in your head, and what you might need to do to change it.

The presentation was beautiful, large art installations in the gallery. However, my pictures did not come out nearly as clear to show the depth of the pictures that they presented. What stood out the most were the giant before and after pictures:

Sculptra Aesthetic Before and After Photos

Vivienne is 53 years old and used 4 vials over 25 months.

Elissa is 49 years old and used 5 vials over 25 months.

Franca is 42 years old and used 5 vials over 12 months.

These pictures are unfiltered before the first and after their last treatment. Don’t they just look like younger versions of themselves? No distortion at all. As you see, the results look incredibly natural, breathing life (aka “collagen”) back into your face.

The presentation was given by the doctors on staff: Dr. Shino Bay Aguilera and Dr. Flor Mayoral at YoungArts Miami. They explained that Sculptra Aesthetic, a type of facial injectable made from poly-L-lactic acid, helps to replace lost collagen. It helps correct shallow to deep facial wrinkles, and folds, that appear with aging by replacing lost collagen.

The best candidates for the Sculptra Aesthetic procedure are approaching or over 40 and/or when they start to see fine lines and wrinkles. In effect, they can “freeze time” as it’s easier to prevent than it is to correct (hence the varying treatment times). Since we take such a huge beating from the hormone variations throughout our lives (including pregnancy and breastfeeding), mothers can hugely benefit to recreate the collagen that we had in our faces. Women who have more melanin have less lines and have more natural collagen in their skin. The doctors suggest that you have one session for every decade of age.

My Picture

This injectable works over time. This is NOT BOTOX® or plastic surgery. You don’t walk in with sagging skin and walk out with a different face. Because of this, one treatment (around three sessions) lasts up to two years. I don’t know much about BOTOX®, but what I do know is that you have to get injected regularly… for life.

Disclaimer: If you are a woman of color who keloids, you are not a candidate and must disclose to the provider.
For more information, go to Sculptra® Aesthetic.

This has been a part of Finish the Sentence Friday’s sentence: “Marty McFly and Doc Brown’s DeLorean are giving me a ride and we’re traveling to the date…” that I could sleep through the night and not look like I’ve aged.

If you’re young, or under a rock, or haven’t seen Back to the Future, feel free to use something like “If I could travel in time…”

Hosts: Kristi from Finding Ninee  and Michelle Grewe of Crumpets and Bullocks.

Finish the Sentence Friday is a link-up where writers and bloggers come together to share their themselves with a particular sentence. If you’d like to stay ahead of future sentences and participate, join our Facebook group.

I don’t even shop, but I love Amazon Prime. There is no reason you shouldn’t have it. Get music, movies, books and stream shows.

Like me or love me… sign up and read me!

32 comments on “Before the Fine Lines Set In…”

1. I haven’t heard of this treatment but started to get these facials last year because I feel like I look old. I also have tried Botox but am not very into it and haven’t gone back after it faded. I’ll have to check this out – thanks!

I wish a facial would get rid of the dark circles or the lines forming. I’m sure I’ll have to do something for the acne though.

2. Allie says:

I’ve been doing Sculptura for years – I love it! But now you (and I guess, me) gave away my secret!

That’s awesome. They offered us consultations and I’ve been worried because as much as it sounds good, so does everything else. 🙂 I may have to give them a call after all.

And you look great!

3. I had a bad experience with Proactive so now I’m too chicken to try anything. But I always wonder if I were super rich if I’d tweak a few things under the knife.

Really? What happened? I can only use Proactiv for one round at a time, then wait months to try it again. It dries me out so much. Several black women there actually already signed up for the consultation.

4. April…to tell the truth I couldn’t see much difference at all between the before and afters….especially the woman of colour. Is that the way we have to describe and differentiate people? I certainly wouldn’t be considering Botox and this sounds like an more natural solution to bags under eyes etc. By the way, my daughters name is April. I think it is the most beautiful name!

Really? I did. Maybe when they are on giant posters in your face they make a huge difference. My pictures were dark, so the afters certainly weren’t great. Yes, I guess that is how we differentiate between people. See, black don’t crack, right? So she didn’t look like she needed much done, but I’m sure it meant the world to her. 🙂

I’ve never heard of it! I usually round up my age just to get used to the age I’m turning. I still think water and sleep do wonders at this point, but I’m lazy even about that.
    Cool take on this prompt!

Oh, yes, water and sleep would do wonders if I could get a decent night’s sleep. Even when my girls don’t come in my bed, I’m so used to waking up, that I can’t sleep through the night. I actually really liked the ones who responded traveling back and forth through time. 🙂 and of course yours!

6. Lee says:

It is the right time in my life to start using Sculptura. This article has reminded me that I need to make an appointment to take the steps to begin to reduce the signs of aging.

7. Robin Masshole Mommy says:

Yes, I am all for taking preventative measures. It’s easier than trying to fix a problem area before its too late.

Yes and you already have gorgeous skin. I wish I could go without makeup.

8. christina aliperti says:

Wow, those are amazing results! I like that it lasts up to 2 years. I definitely couldn’t deal with regular botox injections. I don’t like needles so that is just too much!

I’ve seen and heard horror stories of botox gone wrong. Not a fan of it at all. I scheduled an appointment, so I’ll let everyone know how that goes.

What an awesome solution. It’s nice that it lasts a long time. Those lines are hard to get rid of on your own!

I am hesitant to try these things, I’m not sure why. It would be nice to look younger but that’s definitely not in my list of priorities right now, still it’s good to know that we have a lot of options available to us.

11. Nicole Escat says:

You look good, i wish i have time to try this on my own.

12. victoria says:

This is the first time that I heard this and it really sounds good. I will check this out.

13. This is interesting. I also have bags under my eyes regardless of how much I sleep. I will have to consider this. Thanks!

14. Garf says:

I am closing in on the age when fine lines are about to set in so I am keeping my eyes open on the treatments available out there.

Girl, I wish I’d have done something before. It’s much harder after they’re here.

16. That sounds like an interesting treatment. I don’t see too many wrinkles yet, mostly fine lines, on my face, but I do have a scar that is NOW noticeable that I’m not used to noticing. And it’s like I kind of like that scar because it reminds me of how I overcame an abusive situation when I was a child, reminding me that I can overcome. If that makes sense. For my youth though, I got this bright idea to stop covering my grays. Like the gray hair gets people thinking, “She looks great for 50,” whereas the brown hair is like, “She looks horrible for 28.”

17. I am so scared of things like this. I just don’t know if I could ever do it.

18. Lisa Rios says:

My goodness, this sounds amazing & I think the results are so great as well seeing those pictures! I love that it could lasts up to 2 years which is the great positive aspect of this. I would love to check out Sculptra for more information.

19. Roslyn Evans says:

I love before & after testimonials. Sometimes hard to believe except I trust that the photos were not touched up. Each of these ladies look great.

20. adriana says:

Wow those before and after results are amazing! I’ll have to look into this product!

21. The first photo looks like it was reverse. She looks older on the after photo compared to the before photo. Sounds like a great option to botox or surgery though.

22. Melissa Bernardo says:

I have never heard of this. It sounds amazing! I am going to look into it further.

23. Anosa says:

If the results are anything to go by then this is a lovely treatment

24. Erin Kennedy says:

I love that there is something on the market other than botox. The before and after is nuts. SO cool to see.