CSSI Method ~ The Key to Reading Food Labels for Weight Loss

A huge part component of fitness comes down to nutrition. You can exercise, get lots of sleep, and drink plenty of water, but if you don’t eat well your body will not thrive.

That begs the question: Do you take the time to read your food labels?

According to a research report in Time Magazine, 37% of people claim to “almost always” check the label on food before they buy it, but only 9% claimed to actually know what they were looking for.

This makes sense. Food labels often contain so much information that it can be really challenging to decide whether a food is healthy or not.

How To Simplify Food Labels Using The “CSSI Method”

Would you take the time to read a food label if there were just 4 things you needed to check?

Well, I have some good news for you – This is exactly what the “CSSI Method” does. It focuses on the 4 most important pieces of information that are found on every food label. This allows you to quickly determine if a food is a healthy choice, or if it should be put back on the shelf.

The CSSI Method doesn’t promote counting your daily calories (that’s way too much work!). Instead, it’s intended to be used as a mindfulness tool. When you know what to look for on a food label you are able to make conscious food choices that will improve your health. You are becoming mindful of what you are eating.

For example, the second “S” in CSSI stands for sugar, but the goal isn’t to make sure you “only eat X number of grams of sugar” each day. The goal is to build up your familiarity with foods that are high in sugar so that you aren’t unknowingly consuming much more than you might think.

Take a look at the infographic below to learn how to use the CSSI Method – Then go to your kitchen and see if your food passes the test!

The Key to Reading Food Labels for Weight Loss

CSSI Method

Infographic by makeyourbodywork.com

Author Bio:

Dave Smith is a professional fitness and weight loss coach who was chosen as “Canada’s Top Fitness Professional” by CanFitPro in 2013. You can learn more about Dave and his services at makeyourbodywork.com.

29 comments on “CSSI Method ~ The Key to Reading Food Labels for Weight Loss”

That’s interesting! I’m not that great at reading nutrition labels but I remember when pregnant I’d look for the Total Carb part. I was surprised at how many carbs were in breakfast cereal, but then none at all in cheese!

2. Robin Rue (@massholemommy) says:

This is helpful. I am really only concerned with the calorie count, so that is all I ever look at.

3. The labels are very important. I always look for sugar and sodium.

4. Lisa Ladrido says:

This is such a great tool! I am always reading labels and it gets time consuming at times. I am always looking to see the sugar content, additives and also the size of the serving. They trick you in thinking that the product is healthy but you would only be able to have 1 TBS! Thanks for the great infographic!

5. Reading labels is so important. This method makes it so simple!

6. Pam says:

It’s so important to read labels! They get tricky with those serving sizes sometimes.

7. They should post this on grocery carts. We also try to avoid foods with words we can’t pronounce, unless they’re Oreos. Hey, we’re conscious, not perfect!

8. Jeanine says:

Such great info to know. I used to calorie count and really focused on all that.. Now I just make sure things aren’t too full or hunk before eating!

9. Becky says:

What a helpful too!! I have been trying to loose a few pounds for my upcoming wedding so this will be useful!!

That’s a really helpful way to look at labels! Sometimes those serving sizes trick you into believing the food is healthy.

11. Vieve says:

That is a really interesting way of looking at it. Thanks for sharing!

12. Reading and keeping track of what you are eating are awesome ways to help you lose weight. It also helps to know what you are putting into your mouth. Thanks for sharing.

13. Pam says:

This is great information on how to look at labels. I think trying to delete sugar from your diet is one of the best things a person can do.

14. Amber NElson says:

I am all about the calorie count and the calories from fat.

15. Amanda says:

I’m not on a diet, but this information is still extremely helpful to me because I always want to get the best quality food for my family. Pinning so I can refer to it often while shopping. Thanks!

16. CourtneyLynne says:

These are some great Pointers!!!! I’m one of the crazies in the grocery store always reading labels!!! Now that I know alittle about nutrition I’m all about buying real food!

17. Thanks so much for the valuable information. I can’t say I ever really pay much attention to food labels but now that I’ve got 10 lbs to shed, I will start paying attention to them. Thanks so much.

This is very helpful. From now on I will pay attention to what I grab from the food aisles.

19. I think the less amount of ingredients the better. Especially ingredients you cannot pronounce!

20. Dogvills says:

This is an interesting infographic. I am guilty of not reading labels and I should be doing it.

21. Carly Brydon says:

This is definitely some great info on reading food labels. You’re right – if you exercise, it really won’t work as well unless you put the right fuel in your body too.

22. This is an interesting CSI method. I have to pay attention more to the ingredients and labels.

23. Donna Ward says:

Great infographic! and Fabulous info to always remember – I do read food labels – if I’m not sure, I don’t buy it – thank you for this extra bit of education!

24. Tess says:

I love this info graphic. It’s so true! You really need to check labels.

25. Jennifer Williams says:

I was told a while ago – if your great, great grandmother would not recognize it as food then do not eat it. I try to eat healthy/clean as much as possible and when I do not – I feel horrible for days. That speaks volumes to me.

26. Ron Leyba says:

That infographic could be really useful for me. I might print that out and post/attached it to our fridge 🙂

27. Annie M says:

My husband is a dietician & I learned all about reading labels from him. It’s a breeze now!

28. Babita says:

When I read food labels, I used to only focus on sugar. The infographic you posted makes it very simple to understand all that needs to be looked at.

29. Beverly says:

What great info. A new way to look at what you are buying.
    Thanks for linking up To Turn It Up Tuesday,