We Are Not Alone ~ Time to Find Your Village

Motherhood Parenthood is hard. I don’t need to tell you that… there are countless articles, hilarious rants and thought-provoking blog posts on the subject. Just as frequently, we hear about mothers, specifically, feeling alone in their struggle, like there’s no one around to help, understand or support.

It’s not supposed to be that way. You can’t win alone.

We were not made alone. There’s the saying… “It takes a village to raise a child.”

Who's In Your Corner

Where’s your village?

Unfortunately, we aren’t born into villages, but into a society who seems to trumpet women who manage to work and run a household on their own, churning out Ivy League college graduates with a spic and span home. Wait for it, all while being happy, getting enough sleep and Don’t get me wrong, I give these women MAJOR props.

Yet, for the majority of our us, this is a hurdle that we can’t overcome on our own, unless we have to.

From being the best mommy we can be to accomplishing our goals, we have to have people in our corner.

The Right Team will Take You Higher Than You Can Go Alone

I have this friend, whom I miss dearly (she lives 4,000 miles away), who used to say,

“Hey, April, let’s go for a run.”

I am not a runner. She was a runner. But she also knew me enough to not ask me if I wanted to go, because she knew that the answer would be “NO”. She also knew that running would only make me better for our sports teams, volleyball, basketball and track. I could only be a better competitor.

She also was a better and faster runner and she would often jog in place to wait for me and cheer me on. She never made me feel bad that I couldn’t run faster, or for longer. I was the short distance runner. Anything under 200 yards, I could beat her all day long. Make it 400, and I was struggling. She knew that. She supported me and made me a better athlete.

Who is that person in your life? Who’s pushing you to the next level? Who’s lifting you up to a better place?

Get the right friends, get the right life. Share on Twitter

The Right Team will Make You Better Than You Can Go Alone

Weight loss is a struggle for many people. I know one company that’s doing a great job of campaigning to use their services. Now, I don’t know what they’ve done these past couple of years versus their entire history, but if I lost five pounds for every person who mentioned trying this company, I wouldn’t have any weight left to lose! This company is:

Weight Watchers

I signed up for Weight Watchers YEARS ago. The accountability is untouchable. Weekly, semi-public, weigh-ins are worth the investment for a lot a people.

Who’s keep you accountable for your goals? Who is there to keep you on track and make sure that you are not staying stuck?

Don’t get me wrong… there will be slips and falls, commitments and recommitments. But you can do it! We all can with the right team.

Show me your friends and I’ll show you your future. Share on Twitter

This post is inspired by The Contender, Part 4 at Christ Fellowship led by Pastor Todd Mullins.

References: 1 Tim 6:12, 1 Sam 14, Prov 12:26, 13:20, Heb 10

64 comments on “We Are Not Alone ~ Time to Find Your Village”

1. Robin Rue (@massholemommy) says:

I have my entire family behind me, so I feel lucky that I have so many people in my corner. I know others aren’t as lucky.

2. I am lucky to have some great friends and neighbors. We help eachother out whenever we can.

You found your village! That’s great. Sometimes when people don’t have their family, they don’t think it’s possible. Good for you.

3. Robin says:

I’m very lucky my parents are within miles of me, and the rest of family is so supportive. I try to help those who do not have the same support system, because it has to be very difficult for them.

I have my mom and two sisters for sure. And some great friends – both in person and blogging friends!

Yes! That’s what you have to do. Friends are there for a reason.

5. I don’t have my family around. I have a great team of friends around me though that cheer me up and fill my life with joy. It is so important

6. Helene Cohen Bludman says:

I am blessed to have a wide network of family and friends. I am thankful for that every day.

7. Jeanine says:

I have a huge family and extended family, so I am pretty lucky that way with incredible friends! I know some aren’t tho :/

8. You need people to support and encourage you in your life. We all do.

Having a support system is extremely helpful. I know mine helps me!

I know my daughter helps encourage me to be healthy. She’s very health-conscious and very knowledgeable about fitness.

Having someone in the family is even more helpful. NOt everyone has that, especially when many people are unhealthy.

10. My husband is a reminder to help keep me on track so is bella and the rest of my family

11. coolchillmom says:

This is so true for everything in life. I for one, need a team of support for my weight loss goals

Do you already have that team?

12. Amber NElson says:

It is good to have a village backing you, that is for sure!

13. Pam says:

It’s so important to have people in your corner. No man is an island, after all.

14. I am lucky to have such amazing and supportive people in my life; they do really help a lot!

15. I’m at the other end of that. I am trying to be the village for my daughter who just gave birth to twins. She feels so overwhelmed at times and that’s when I step in an take over for awhile. Being a good mom is a very hard job.

She’s lucky to have you. Yes, mommyhood is hard!

16. Lesley says:

Glad you found your village. Everyone should have support.

17. mburbage says:

It is so hard! Everyone needs support, and when they back you up it feels amazing

18. Lisa Rios says:

I must thank God, as I have some best friends around & the family members as well who stand by me when I need any kind of moral support. And the my husband who is always inspiring & supportive. After all helping each other is what keeps life moving smoother. Thanks for sharing this great article

Yes. Having a supportive spouse is ESPECIALLY important. 🙂 and life is a lot easier with support.

19. Veronica says:

I wish I could say I have a team in my corner. The reality is, I have myself and my 2 kids…..that’s about it

20. Julie says:

This is a great post. You’re right that we have to surround ourselves with supporting people who help us in our journey.

21. I love how every parent can have their own village and it doesn’t have to be the same. My village involves some close family of mine. Parenting would be much harder without them.

22. Life is hard. Period. Everyone does much better in life if they have a support team to depend on to help them through their darkest days.

23. Megan @ C'mon Get Crafty says:

I love this. LOVE it. My BFF and I talk constantly, but I still feel like we could use more “villagers”.

24. My family is close and I know they will always be there no matter what. It is a great feeling to know that!

25. Amanda Love says:

I have actually been wanting to learn a bit more about weight watchers. I’ll have to check this out and I agree, I find I do better when someone holds me accountable.

Try them out. I have several friends who’ve found tons of success with it!

26. Babita says:

The only people who really root for me is my DH and my girls. I don’t if I would do even a single thing without their support.

That’s awesome to have that support!

27. Melissa Vera says:

I so agree that it takes a village. If it wasn’t for my girls and my extended family my life would be so different.

28. Support and encouragement really does help when it comes to weight loss. Really it comes in handy for anything one might want to become better at or strive at. I was in Weight Watchers with a friend when I was in high school and it helped a lot, now I take what I learned from them and use it in my current weight loss journey. I believe weight watchers is one of the best programs out there for support.

29. I’m so thankful to be close to family and have my family’s support. I agree it takes a village to raise a child.

30. Katherine G says:

I have a great support system for blogging but not much for weight loss. I’m still searching for my village in that. But I’m sure I’ll find one soon.

31. Kimberly says:

It’s ironic, because for the last few months I have been reading things that encourage creating your “Dream Team” or ” Home Base”. I am carefully picking my inner circle or the people I can tell all my business to. It has really been a new, relaxing, and comfortable transition to have a team to lean on. A team that Is there for me and WANT to encourage me during my crisis. Being completely independent isn’t always what it is cracked up to be.

32. Toni says:

I joined WW years ago too and completely agree with you. I don’t know if they still have live meetings as they used to or if it’s all online now? They are great to keep people accountable.

33. I have a fairly big circle of friends in my field who help keep me motivated and on point. I do that for them as well. Having a “village” like that is an excellent way to keep yourself moving forward.

34. PAm says:

Finding your village is so important. Parenting is so hard and it is so much better to have others helping you and supporting you.

35. Crystal says:

I’m so thankful I don’t have to do this whole parenthood thing alone. I have a great family, but additionally some really great neighbors and friends. You really can’t do it alone.

36. Marcie W. says:

I consider myself extremely motivated, so I tend to do what it takes to accomplish my goals, but I definitely agree that a support system helps. I am blessed to have a circle of family or friends that always has my back!

37. Val says:

What a great conversation to have, I completely agree with all of your thoughts here.

38. Aimee Smith says:

Truth! Finding your tribe of supporters is crucial to anything in life! Life is hard, but together we can make it work!

39. MJ.L says:

Love this! I was lucky enough to move to a wonderful community and have a ton of friends now so they are my village.

40. Angela says:

I love weight watchers, they are a great team to help you lose weight! I have fallen off the wagon but when I do the plan and attend the meetings I do great! Thanks for the reminder that we do need help to help us achieve our goals!

41. Theresa says:

A good support system is a must for anyone, no matter what challenges you are facing. I feel very blessed to have good friends and family backing me every step of the way.

42. felicia says:

Having the right friends is definitely key. I love having a wonderful support system.

43. Nicole Escat says:

My husband is my encourager, if ever we have some difficulties then my best friends are always on my back!

44. Kristi says:

It does take a village and people in our corner… how blessed we are if we have both. Great post.

45. Ann Bacciaglia says:

I have a great support system. My village has been a tremendous help after the loss of my Husband. I found a great deal of support from my fellow bloggers as well.

46. A lot of positive, inspirational thoughts here! I wholeheartedly agree with choosing “that” kind of friend, it really helps you succeed in life in general. I should know, I have a very special friend who made me into what I am now with travelling!

47. Right after my ex husband and I split last fall I had these few weeks where I just felt so alone. But then one friend reached out and it’s been non stop ever since. I have started to reach out to old friends and rebuild my life and let me tell you,it has been amazing.

48. mary says:

My sisters are my team. We don’t talk daily..or even weekly…but we know we got each others backs at all times. They are definitely my rock

49. Everyone needs their own “village.” A group of supporters who truly have your back.

50. I have successfully used Weight Watchers in the past.
    I believe you are correct in that it is much easier to have a team behind a challenge, whatever it may be.

51. Kiwi says:

I am a stickler for having a good group of friends I can depend on and even hold me accountable. It feels good you have a core group of people not just to hang out with but to really b there for you and help you. Its not always the quantity but definitely the quality!

52. chasing joy says:

This is a very timely post for me. I recently lost my mom, my main supporter. I am trying to build a new support system but it is not easy.

53. Robin Rue says:

Having people in your corner is so important! I have lots in my corner 🙂 I know that others don’t have it like that though.