Hooray, hooray, hooray it’s Friday and time for another fabulous week of #AskAwayFriday!
What is #AskAwayFriday? Well…
#AskAwayFriday was created by the amazing Penny from Real Housewife of Caroline County as a way to connect with other bloggers with a great Q & A session of 10 questions and 10 answers! By offering a wonderful opportunity to get to know others while allowing others to get to know you and of course there is also the added bonus of making great friends along the way which is one of the best parts of this online world!
Now to welcome our wonderful #AskAwayFriday hosts…
April is a wife, mom, blogger, entrepreneur, author, and fitness guru who blogs about the things that make up her daily life as a SAHM focusing on her family. Be sure to stop by April’s site to check out her wonderful recipe offerings and money making opportunities or to just say “Hi”!
So…grab our brand, new button, follow our amazing hosts and co-host, hop through the great link ups and make some amazing new friends!
This week, I exchanged questions with NJ from A Cookie Before Dinner! We both love snail mail! I haven’t gotten to talk to about it yet, so you have to check out her site so that you can find out more about her regularly sending out a little note to a loved one. Although she doesn’t actually eat a cookie for dinner, I loved the spirit of the sentiment because it’s something my mother always said. She has been doing this for a while and even has a great post the 10 Commandments of Blogging!
1. What does summer look like in your house? Are you guys traveling anywhere fun? I actually don’t know. We’ve been in a state of transition since we’ve moved. In previous years, we have worked to spend time in Florida with family and now we’re already here! I don’t know if we’ll be doing much traveling because we’re going to California in the fall. I plan on doing a lot of things with the kids, museum trips, summer camps and whatever else that we can get into that’s cheap!
2. I have just started my get healthy journey. I’m not calling it a weight loss thing because for me it is more than that. There is also some spiritual things I need to work on. I recently realized there are times I love food more than I love Jesus. Do you have any scripture you could recommend I memorize to encourage me as I start my shift?I actually have three:
3. What are you favorite high protein snacks? I wasn’t big on nuts before, but I’ve gotten into grabbing a handful of almonds (with a few raisins for sweetness). With three kids, and normally two in tow, I have to take something quick and easy, that I can pack in a bag and probably eat with one hand. I also like jerky, but often that has a lot of sodium. I will also hard boil some eggs and keep them in the fridge. I have gotten used to the taste unflavored, because of lack of time.
4. I get up early in the morning because I like my house quiet and my coffee hot. It is just about the only time of day that is truly mine. How early do you get up and what is your morning routine? LOL! I used to be an early riser. In college, I used to wake up at 6 a.m. to be able to go to the gym before my 9 a.m. class. Now, I’m much more of a “get out of bed at the last possible moment”-type of gal. I don’t like to rush, but if I know I could get it done in 15 minutes, I’m not getting up a second earlier. My routine typically consists of me changing my girls’ diapers and clothes, brushing my teeth, quick brush of my hair, grab my bag of almonds, make my coffee and out the door. My husband typically makes sure that my son gets ready (and brews the coffee). Then we’re out!
I would love to get quiet time in the morning, but I almost always end up doing “stuff” but never what I need to do!
5. What advice would you give a newly engaged woman?Take a good look at the man to whom you’re engaged and ask if you could accept him, flaws and all. Not just the good stuff, but the bad stuff, because that will be the stuff that annoys you after you get married. You may be able to make changes in your spouse, but believe me, if they do make any change, it’ll be LONG and SLOW before you see it. It’s not that they don’t want to, but whatever it is you have to remember, it is their habit. If there’s something you don’t think you can live with, see if you can work to change it. But DON’T EXPECT the wedding/marriage to change it. Also, as much as they say opposites attract, you need to make sure that you discuss the core issues and values that you have. If those are the same, then other things can be “opposite”. If you believe going to church is important and he does not, it will cause contention at some point. I’m all about living a smooth life. There are tons of things being thrown at your outside of your marriage, you don’t need it within.
6. What advice would you give a woman who was recently married for the first time? Communicate, communicate, communicate. Learn your and his personal communicating and arguing styles, if you don’t know them already. I know the best place to talk to my husband is in the car. Normally, neither of us is already angry about something and I get his undivided attention. Plus, I also understand that his discussion style it to internalize the information. He may not get back to me for a day or two with a response. It’s up to me to be patient and wait. Don’t be afraid to communicate your feelings, but DON’T treat him like your girlfriend. Most men want to “fix” things and if you aren’t looking for a real, practical solutions, don’t complain about the same thing over and over again.
7. How do you fit in your workouts with kids at home? I do them when they are around. I find that there’s rarely a time when they’re not, and I don’t always get those days. I’ll be doing a post on it soon, but often I incorporate them into the workouts.
8. What is on your nightstand? Bonus points for a picture. I think I answered this a while back. Nothing exciting. It’s just a pile of papers that I swear I’m going to go through! It pretty much looks exactly the same!
9. What post brings you the most traffic on a monthly basis? Why do you think that is?The Starter’s Exercise Plan… well, because a lot of people feel like they are just starting out. Working out can be overwhelming and even though we used to “play” from dawn til dusk on any given holiday, now finding 30 minutes is tough.
10. What is a typical weekend like at your house? We don’t have a typical right now. Often my older children are at my in-laws which typically means that my husband and I will do one or more of a few things: binge watch television/movies, clean up the garage, or just have adult time.
Be sure to check out our Facebook page “AskAwayFriday” for a great place to meet up and send out a #BuddyRequest if you need a partner to swap with!